Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post and am pretty new to woodworking. I am working on a project that requires a 3/8" hole bored into a 1 1/4" round red oak post. I keep tearing the wood on the backside when the drill exits. I'm using a brad point drill, I have tried different speeds and feed rates. I'm using a wooden V block to hold the piece. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

JimA

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Try a Forstner bit, and go really slow on the last part (feed rate). Or drill a very small pilot hole (1/16"?) then drill 1/2 way through from each side using the pilot to center your brad point.

Oh, and welcome Jim.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Daren has the right idea but I find that I still get some tearout unless the wood is completely supported with scrap wood on the backside. If I can't do that I will drill until just the very point of the brad point or forestner bit comes through. Then I will turn it over and drill from the other side. The small center hole helps light it up.
I've only tried it once with moderate success but wrapping masking tape around it and then drilling really slow with a very sharp forestner bit did stop the tearout on one project. I don't know how much the tape helped because I didn't try it without the tape.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Try drilling an 1 1/4" hole through a piece of scrap wood. Cut it in half and then use it as a sacraficial piece by clamping the round red oak piece into the half pipe of the scrap piece. Then when you drill through your red oak it is fully supported at the exit point

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Try drilling an 1 1/4" hole through a piece of scrap wood. Cut it in half and then use it as a sacraficial piece by clamping the round red oak piece into the half pipe of the scrap piece. Then when you drill through your red oak it is fully supported at the exit point
Bingo! We have a winner :thumbsup:. (make the cradle from hardwood scrap, and don't reuse it, it is only good for one exit hole)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Need Help

Bingo! We have a winner :thumbsup:. (make the cradle from hardwood scrap, and don't reuse it, it is only good for one exit hole)
Thanks to all of you for the excellent suggestions. It's good to find a forum that is quick to offer help. (I thought you guys would think it to be a pretty juvenile question)

Thanks,

Jim A.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Need Help

It worked, thanks

Jim A

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks to all of you for the excellent suggestions. It's good to find a forum that is quick to offer help. (I thought you guys would think it to be a pretty juvenile question)

Thanks,

Jim A.
Jim, there are NO juvenile questions except those which aren't asked. You can not learn unless you ask questions, so consider the on-line woodworking community as you own personal woodworking "Wikipedia" source. After all, that's part of the reason for these forums.:thumbsup:

Nancy (39 days)

·
Just call me Sir
287 Posts
Jim, there are NO juvenile questions except those which aren't asked. You can not learn unless you ask questions, so consider the on-line woodworking community as you own personal woodworking "Wikipedia" source. After all, that's part of the reason for these forums.:thumbsup:

Nancy (39 days)

I like that....Hi Jim welcome to the forum..LB

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am glad it worked jim. I probably would never have given this problem a second thought if you hadnt asked the question. So thank you for increasing MY personal knowledge

As Nancy says. There aint no such thing as a stupid question unless you dont ask it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts