Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, need some help. I make small signs with saying on them....usually smaller than 12" x 12". I recently bought some MDF and really liked it. I loved that it was smooth and not warped. Before I had been usually whitewood that you get at Lowes. Then I started reading in forums that MDF is bad with moisture and the outside. Do you guys know anything that is similar but can take the outdoors better. I have tried Pine ply but I hate the edges on them. I have heard of MDO but I heard its pricey ! Any advise helps ! Thanks!

·
7,222 Posts
Good, you heard of MDO (Medium Density Overlay). This is a good product for signs.

You may get by with painted poplar.

You are correct that MDF is not good for outside. Even if painted, all it takes is a crack and once the moisture seeps into the crack, it will soon start to crumble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave for the reply. Yes this was my first experience with MDF. And especially with making my small signs....I loved how smooth it was, no knots, I loved the edges, everything. But when I read all the stuff about how it falls apart with any water or weather outside....I was heartbroken. I been using Whitewood Pine boards from the longest time because its inexpensive but I really hate how it bows and how uneven it is even right at the store.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts