Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, i want to know the best way of getting the best way of making this living room chest table to match my floor. the table colour is like a pine colour but want it to match my floor which is american walnut finish. please can you advise me the best way to do this in detail, Thanks

·
Registered
979 Posts
corsarick, most pine with a natuaral finish (like that table) warms up to those nice uneven amber tones over the years. Why you want to camoflage that gorgeous chest to blend with your floors is beyond me...but! Since you asked.

Try buying a few of the small pint cans of available stains. Whenever I'm matching tones I usually end up combing two or sometimes three different colors. A can of walnut stain is not going to instantly make that pine look like your walnut flooring, so you may need to experiment if you want a match as close as possible.

Take your time, buy some pine board shorts from any of the homecenters for testing your colors. When layering stains, I rarely wait for one color to dry before applying the next so that they blend nicely. Of course you'll have to knock the sheen off the chest first before applying anything directly to the wood to achieve some sort of penetration.

If you buy Minwax stains I'd start with a can of walnut, jacobean and provincal.

Good luck.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
I'm with joe, I would not try to have it "blend" but rather "compliment" with a tone that doesn't clash. you wouldn't want a reddish tone for example but I would think anythng in the same hue would look good. I think the closer you get to the actual color of the floor, the less attractive it would become, but that is just my taste. I like as many different, natural colors as I can squeeze into a room as long as they don't collide.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts