Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I built a playset for my son, and ran into a problem I am looking for some guidance on. Its a dual tower setup that is 9' long and 5' wide and measures about 11' to the roof peak. I installed a 15' long swing beam that I made by using (2)1-1/2" x 7" boards.(those are actuals measurements.) I installed an A-frame on the end opp. the tower. I have roughly 13'6" of usuable space that I can attach swings and such to. The issue is the swing beam deflects roughly 3/4" either direction while swinging, and this is with a 60lb. log strapped in the swing. It does not sag however. Is this acceptable?
I was going to use one pc of wood for the beam such as a 4x6x14 but could not find one local. I built the entire set out of Douglas Fir since I did not want to use pressure treated, and cedar was expensive. I had talked to several people and looked at several decks made of douglas fir and with proper maintenance they were holding up really well. So does anyone have some suggestions they would be willing to share? I would not be opposed to a pressure treated beam if I could find one of right size. I live in SE part of PA. Thank You, George.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its funny you mention that. I did clamp a plain ole 2x4 on the one side at the top and it did limit the deflection significantly. I also wanted to do that because once I glued the boards, clamped and screwed them together I got a bow in them even though I made sure glue them so that they bowed opp. each other. Thank you for the speedy reply. I really did not want to redesign the hookup on the tower side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts