Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings from Norway. EDIT: What I'm looking to build is basically an inverse octagon pyramid pedestal.

I'm in the process of building a poker table, and I want to make two octagon pedestals for legs. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out all the angles and measurements. And possible also how to make it (I have an idea, but it might not be the best way to do it).

My idea is to make two equal octagon base frames, one for the bottom, and one for the top. And then have 8 2"x2" two inbetween the frames, in the length of 60 cm (which will be the height). And then I need to make another frame outside of the upper one, to fasten the plywood sheets to, in order to make the 10 degree angle I want. This is very it get's tricky, I need to know the angle to cut the plywood sheets in, and also how long they have to be. Figuring out how long they need to be isn't so hard, using cosinus, because we know the height and the angle (10) of the triangle that is the plywood sheet, and the 2"x2". Figuring out the angle to cut the plywood in the height direction is harder though.

Is there any tips or tricks to how to do this, or is it just a lot of work?

Thanks in Advance, and sorry for my bad English, it is not my native language.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

You could just draw it out full size and do a take off of the sizes and the angles.

Thanks, and yeah, that's what I have to do if there's no other way. However, playing around in sketchup gives me some really funky angles and measurements, so I was wondering if there was some kind of standard for how to do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts