Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Hello, I was thinking about making my own fishing lures from wood. I have a dowel of poplar wood cut into small segments. My question is, what tool should I use to shape these cylinder shaped cuts like this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512+8tmERRL._SL1500_.jpg

I want to round the head perfectly. Any help with be appreciated.

If you don't have a lathe or the tools, you could just cut rectangular/square stock and do the rest with a pocket knife or a small hand plane, and shape it with sandpaper.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Perfection would require a lathe like Steve mentions - but in this case, adequate could be achieved with carving knives and moderate skill for the general shape. Now I don't know much about fishing, but I would assume the barbed hooks and the eye on top are connected through the body of the lure which presents a whole new problem.

Looking at the picture, I think the eye is a bolt and the barbed hooks need to be attached with a nut located in front of the hook system. You would need to get 2 small blocks of wood, cut a small groove in both blocks, match and glue them together with the eye bot inserted into the groove. Once dry - you can mount the block in a lathe (with the correct jaw system) and turn out the lure so long as there are no hooks attached and the eye bolt system is balanced. IN OTHER WORDS - GOOD LUCK :huh:

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
I'd start looking at it backwards.

>Learn to replace the hooks first.Where to source from?

>Hook attatching hdwre,and any fabrication work this entails.Little hammerforming some thin aluminum?You pay postage and I'll donate a sm leather hammerforming bag.

>Any body parts(eyes,fins,?),and sources for such?

>What paint?And learn to use a sm airbrush setup.Also look at an auto detail/touch up/jamb gun.Surf Ebay,they're cheap.

>Now we're working on the body itself.......if you have all the above taken care of,you could probably whittle a little turd looking pce of wood and have it looking right dang proffesional?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts