Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i do installations for a point of sales system company, and occasionally i have to drill through counter tops that are made out of wood. I currently use 1.5" holesaw drill bit. the problem i have is when i break through the wood is stuck in the middle, and its usually quite the effort to eject it. is there a quick trick? or special bits that make the removal of this easier?

take into account im usually onsite (businesses) so i do not have a vice i can prop it up and and go at it with a punch and hammer.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
One option is to drill a little more than halfway from one side then go to the other side and drill from that direction. That way you don't bury the chunck of wood so deep in the bit.

Another thing I do is to take the hole saw off of the arbor. It usually makes getting the chunk of wood out easier.

·
Registered
112 Posts
you could try a holesaw like this you can either prise the wood out with a screwdriver from the side or take the cutting blade off and get it out that way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow thanks for the many replies, on the last reply with that open holesaw bit, does that thing even work well? looks like it will fall apart during cutting.

·
Registered
112 Posts
wow thanks for the many replies, on the last reply with that open holesaw bit, does that thing even work well? looks like it will fall apart during cutting.
:smile: they look like it but each blade locks into the base by twisting into slots, if you look on the largest saw blade(loose one)on the pic you can just see the slot next to the opening.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts