Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a beginner here so bear with me. I built the window seat and after putting the long hinges on the lids I realized how warped my lids were. I don't think there is an easy fix for the wood other than starting over. However does anyone have a suggestion on a catch or additional hinge I may be able to use to pull the front down flush?

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
It is not easy to tell from the pictures if the lid is warped or just that how you installed the hinge is not allowing it to close.

Lay a straight edge across the top. If this is indeed warped, then you may need to start over.

If the installation of the hinge is the problem, you may be able to use a different style of hinge.

One example. Look around the site at the other style so hinges available.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Hardware/page.aspx?p=40647&cat=3,41241

·
Registered
598 Posts
It's hard to tell from the photos whether the seat is one wide board, or 2 or more edge-glued boards. The kind of wood you used, and how the grain runs would also affect how much curvature you might see. If you look at the ends, and the growth rings in the board(s) are long shallow arcs, I suspect you'll get more warping with temperature & humidity changes than if the rings are more like parallel straight lines running vertically through the boards.

If you feel that the seat will be stable, although curved, through humidity & temperature changes, I'd suggest sawing a kerf or 2 on the underside, almost through the thickness of the seat, and gluing in strips of wood that are somewhat narrower than the kerf(s), if that makes any sense. As you flatten the seat, the gaps would close up, and when the glue has cured, you may have a flatter seat.

Just my $.02; good luck!

·
Registered
205 Posts
No easy fix, the design is inherently vulnerable to warping. I would have fitted breadboard ends or, if you prefer to avoid any visible grain running the opposite way, machine "dovetail" slots in the bottom and fit supports that way. Need to allow for cross grain movement with either of these solutions, so dont glue them in !

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

You posted this about 4 days ago...did you find a fix? If not, you might remove the lid and hinge, and see if it will dry fit. If it doesn't fit, try flipping it over for a fit. If it's set up with matching grain from one side, you may be out of luck.

If it does dry fit, you may have installed the hinge incorrectly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.