Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Woodies,

I just finished turning my first pedestal. Dimensions are 4''x19''.

I really need help with truing/squaring the top and bottom so that my table will stand straight up.

as you can see in the picture I have about 3 inches of excess wood on both sides. How do i remove the excess and get true ends? can this be done simultaneously? or am i just going to have to sand it and true it by eye? :eek:

Thanks for your help!!

Josh.

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
I expect several methods.

The one I like to use is a wide parting tool. I have the 3/8in version from Packard. One of my favourite tools, although I am not yet proficient in using it to make decent beads.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...ode=packard&Category_Code=tools-pkrd-beadpart

I sometimes use my Diamond Parting tool, similar to this one.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...=packard&Category_Code=tools-tayl-kryo-diapar

You should be able to turn down to e.g., 1/4in tenon on either end. I would then cut off with a cross cut saw and sand down if proud.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have yet to do a pedestal but I have done a few bowls with flat bottoms. I would use what DP said but add a very slight concave so that it doesn't have a chance to rock. Are you going to add a base or a foot to pedestal? Nice design by the way.

·
Registered
300 Posts
As others said, I would use a parting tool and cut down to 1/2-3/4" and then finish with a hand saw. Have you thought about leaving a tenon on each end to help with alignment and strength when you add the top and base?
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for the insight. I will use the parting tool. I thought about that method, and now that you all are telling me to go ahead with it, I feel MUCH more confident. Thanks again.

Thanks for the idea about a concave base. That will definitely ensure stability. The pedestal is for a chess table I'm putting together. There will be a base and a table top.

As far as leaving a tenon, I will look into that, but I have planned to just attach the base and tabletop to the pedestal with screws.

Thanks again. I'll update with a picture of the finished project.

Josh.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your help.

I used a PT and made the cuts slightly concave.

I did leave a tenon on both ends to help with centering my top and base.

thanks again!!:yes:

Josh

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you decided how you're going to make the table top and base?
yeah, i have everything ready to go.. panels made, all parts are to size, just gotta figure out what router bits I wanna use for all the edges, and pick fixtures, and blah blah blah...:yes: .. then start biscuiting and glueing and assembling.

I dont remember if i mentioned that its going to be a chess table or not.
I made the chess board out of walnut and birdseye maple.. it looks great. cant wait to get some finish on it to see it shine, and to see that birdseye shimmer and pop.:thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words!

Josh.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts