Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found in the father in law's workshop. No clue what it is for but I swear it looks like the sliding part is to mount a router but it was lying next to the lathe.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tim. I know for sure it was never used. My father in law loved to buy stuff and watch it gather dust.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Found in the father in law's workshop. No clue what it is for but I swear it looks like the sliding part is to mount a router but it was lying next to the lathe.
Yes a jig for cutting spiral flutes. Notice the cup engaged with the work piece. As the crank is turned two things occur.
(A) the workpiece slowly rotates
(B) the router is pulled along the length of the work piece by the attached cables.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Much thanks Dave. Pretty neat jig when you think about it. I fear it may be missing something as I see no way to mount the workpiece on the end opposite the crank. It would not be a surprise either. An unused D4 Leigh jig was found in a corner but we got lucky with it and found a plastic bin under a work bench on the opposite side of the shop. Contained 15 New Leigh bits and 6 packages of Leigh accessories.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I fear it may be missing something as I see no way to mount the workpiece on the end opposite the crank.
I have not used one of these but it is my understanding that this fixture/jig may have been used with the piece still in the lathe. The other end of the work piece would be centered and supported by the headstock, while the jig frame, served as the tailstock. The lathe was NOT turned on during this operation.
Exactly how the assembly married up to the lathe may remain a mystery, unless you can come up with a name and or model number for the fixture. Possibly an extensive search on you tube may come up with this jig being used in action.

I fear my children will have a difficult time organizing all the many items I have accumulated for my various hobbies. I am trying to get things together and keep things together which should be together. Maybe being a bit disorganized is a false sense of security. I can't possibility leave this world tomorrow because I'm not ready and my things are not picked up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes perfect sense now why it was standing up next to the lathe. Just to tell you how crazy this estate is.., Grizzly Double Drum sander 1997. Filthy and covered with dust and grundge. Took off the top and not a speck of dust anywhere and the sandpaper on the drums is spotless. So unused for 24 yrs. Exact same thing with a Jet Bandsaw and 8" Grizzly Jointer.
Get your stuff organized Dave! I have (not)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts