Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into getting a surface planer for my shop, but don’t have a lot of money to spend on one.. I found this in my area but he doesn’t have a price and requests an offer.. what do you guys thing its worth. He states all works, just needs a belt, so I cant test it. Would I offered $40 and he accepted. :eek: But I want to make sure its worth that, I know nothing about planers..

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/hsh/3999803705.html

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Here's my take on CL for tools. Whatever a tool is worth retail chop that in half and go down from there.
I'm also very leery of any tool that "just" needs something.
If it "just" needed a belt or a switch or whatever, I have to question why didn't the owner "just" fix it.
If I can't see something operate or I have to put more money into it, the price goes down. There are obvious cases sure, but for something like a little Delta planer, I'm not going down that road unless I can really trust the person or I have the part to put on it.
Good luck!

·
7,222 Posts
It would be worth $40 if you do not need parts. Delta parts situation is still not good.

Get the specific model number and see if eReplacement parts has the belt, or you will have a $40 dust collector.

Also check the knives. Some of the models used generally available knives, some are Delta specific. I would expect the knives to be nicked. I had a Delta 22-580 and the knives did not last as long as I would have liked, and they were Delta specific.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave Paine said:
It would be worth $40 if you do not need parts. Delta parts situation is still not good.

Get the specific model number and see if eReplacement parts has the belt, or you will have a $40 dust collector.

Also check the knives. Some of the models used generally available knives, some are Delta specific. I would expect the knives to be nicked. I had a Delta 22-580 and the knives did not last as long as I would have liked, and they were Delta specific.
This is a 22-580 model and the knife will ne an issue and a deal breaker.. I think im going to pass on this one.. Its an hour drive and i just don't feel confident about it...

Thanks for your input...

·
7,222 Posts
This is a 22-580 model and the knife will ne an issue and a deal breaker.. I think im going to pass on this one.. Its an hour drive and i just don't feel confident about it...

Thanks for your input...
It does not look like my 22-580, which was a two speed model.

FYI, mine looked like this.

I think it will be best to pass on this one.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave Paine said:
Single speed, like my first DeWalt, but should be decent.

Looks like you can get the blades. Being new in the box the present blades will be fine, but just a matter of time before you need replacements.

Good deal at $150 if seller will go that low.
Seller agreed on 150 :)

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I'm jealous....I want one of the trim routers but of course I was there a few weeks ago....and not now.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
RusDemka said:
ooooh, I think ill pick up one of those too... were are you located? and how come I didn't see this listing on CL earlier :furious:
I'm in Wisconsin.....but have family in Minnesota.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts