Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am happy to have found this forum and am hoping someone here can give me advice.

I have stained (with Minwax stain) a dresser, over an already existing lacquer top coat. Even though the wood was already sealed off by the existing lacquer, I like the look (it's sort of an antiqued look now.)

I was told to use an acrylic top coat and to not even consider lacquer because it would disolve the old lacquer underneath the stain and create a big mess.

What would you advise for the best top coat at this point? Thank you anyone for your comments and/or suggestions!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Sorry to be impatient, but I was hoping someone would have chimed in on this. I have done woodworking projects in the past and I do know that this is not a typical technique.

I have stain on lacquer at this point and now I'm not sure about using acrylic over it to seal/top coat it. If there may be a better way to finish my project, PLEASE chime in. Any comments or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Anyone? Sorry to be impatient, but I was hoping someone would have chimed in on this. I have done woodworking projects in the past and I do know that this is not a typical technique.

I have stain on lacquer at this point and now I'm not sure about using acrylic over it to seal/top coat it. If there may be a better way to finish my project, PLEASE chime in. Any comments or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you.

You're right. That's not the way to do it. The stain is just sitting on the lacquer. If the stain is dry, most film type topcoats can cover it without destroying the stain. I've had to do repairs and touch ups to finished woodwork, and used an oil base stain to do fill ins, and sprayed lacquer (when I used lacquer) right on top. I wouldn't load up the lacquer. Use a 'water white' lacquer if you can.

Actually a waterbased polyurethane would work and remain clear.

You might try a sample first.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
although putting a stain on top of lacquer is .......well.......... a bone head move. it can depend on what kind of stain. oil---water---gel---penitrating?. if you use a regular penitrating stain, even if dry you will never have a good bond to the lacquer. if its a gel stain, depending on the brand, you might get away with it. either way if its an oil stain and you try and apply a oil top coat with a brush, your most lickly going to re activate and pull the stain. there are so many things that can go wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for your replies!

The stain that I used was Minwax (oil based - penetrating) red mahogany.

Believe it or not (and I know the way I did it is a big no no) it looks beautiful - right now. I knew before I posted the question that what I did was probably a professional woodworker's worst nightmare! I just want to be able to seal it in with the best choice of a finish so it will last - I really feel like it's going to work out okay for this piece - the dresser won't get hardly any wear at all so that's a plus.

I am going to do a test area first - very good idea. If I run into any problems I'll be back to post again :)

Thank you both again for your replies!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just wanted to come back and let you know that the test piece turned out good - can't thank you enough for suggesting that. It worked okay with both the lacquer and the poly but I'm going to go with the poly because I think it might hold up better over time.

P.S. I truly admire anyone who can produce quality craftsmanship with wood. I have seen some of the spectacular work posted on this forum (professional quality unlike mine.) Was wondering if any of you guys are single. I'm no spring chicken but I'm a good cook! ;-) kidding! Have a great day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts