Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the back paneling for kitchen cabinets. I think they used plywood for the center, but I'm not certain about the edges (around the picture frame trim).

What type of wood do you think they used?

The grains go in different directions. It looks like they made small pieces to go around the inner trim. Do you think they used solid wood or hardwood plywood? Birch??

What type of molding is this?

·
Registered
26,886 Posts
It might be birch. The pictures are not clear enough to really tell. I have made panels like that by makeing a faceframe out of solid wood and then routing a 1/4" deep rabbet on the back side of the center section with a router and inserting a piece of 1/4" plywood. Then apply the molding.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
It would be very unusual to have an unseen back piece made of solid lumber when plywood is cheaper, more stable, and readily available in larger sizes that can be cut to fit. Your IS cut weird but maybe these were semi-leftover pieces of plywood.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm debating on whether I should make this type of back paneling for my kitchen. My other option is purchasing paneling (cherry wood with chestnut finish). It would not look like this. It would look more like doors. After discount, it would be about a $700 to $800 add on. Do you think it is worth it? How difficult do you think it would be to make the back paneling similar to the picture?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts