Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

We have an introduction section where you can say a few words about yourself. If you fill out your profile in your "User Control Panel", you can list any hobbies, experience or other facts. You can also list your general geographical location which would be a help in answering some questions.

Looks like Oak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks. I have filled out a little bit of Bio. I am a tech director from S Texas.
I am a huge DIY guy when it comes to electric work and AV and computers.
Wood is something I haven't really dove into. So really noob when it comes to restoring stuff.

I want to stain it dark while still seeing grains.
Am thinking about using java gel from general finishes for the top. Then painting the bottom legs white.

I tried and miserably failed to stain it dark with minwax stain. The pics are from after stripping and resanding back down.
It just didn't take the stain near as dark as the can looked. I tried 4 coats of stain. still too light. Maybe I sanded it too fine? 220..?
Anyways I tried some stuff called polyshaded to darken it and that stuff was horrible and I kept pushing the darkness around trying to "fix" it
Anyways I just started ALL over and now have naked wood.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Definitely red oak and with a walnut or mahogany stain, which to me says the person who made it should be shot. Red oak is a perfectly nice wood without trying to pimp it up. Rant over. :smile:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts