Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This one of my first real projects. I am making a number of cabinets for some built-ins. I designed everything in sketchup and the joints fit very tightly (see pics below).

http://imgur.com/a/BmjEy

I am thinking the best way to glue this together is to glue the top two support pieces on top, and then the bottom shelf first. Then while the glue is still wet, insert the middle shelves... What do you guys think?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
I'd put one side down, then glue all the crossing pieces into it. If you have a table close to the size of the side you can use bar clamps/pipe clamps to hold the pieces in place while drying. Once that side is set put the other side on with glue, and clamp until dry.

If the joints are tight, it'll be hard to slide the inner dividers in if the top and bottom are already glued in place across two sides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
4DThinker said:
I'd put one side down, then glue all the crossing pieces into it. If you have a table close to the size of the side you can use bar clamps/pipe clamps to hold the pieces in place while drying. Once that side is set put the other side on with glue, and clamp until dry. If the joints are tight, it'll be hard to slide the inner dividers in if the top and bottom are already glued in place across two sides.
This is what I would do as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,304 Posts
I would glue it all up at one time. If the dados are fairly snug I don' t see a problem. No way would I try to glue up one side with the dividers and then put the other side on. If you did that it would be hard to keep it square.
Tom
 

·
Custom stair builder
Joined
·
241 Posts
TomC said:
I would glue it all up at one time. If the dados are fairly snug I don' t see a problem. No way would I try to glue up one side with the dividers and then put the other side on. If you did that it would be hard to keep it square. Tom
I'll usually cut a back piece (even if it's just 1/4" material) to make sure everything is square. Plus it adds so much shear strength to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, I've glued both cabinets together. Everything at once (except for the 1/4" back. I haven't cut those pieces yet.


In my ignorance unrealized that I didn't measures the thickness of the plywood for the 2nd cabinet. Which made putting it together a little tricky. It was 0.68" instead of about 0.71 like the other. Other than that everything is good.
 

·
Custom stair builder
Joined
·
241 Posts
Vexorg said:
Hey guys, I've glued both cabinets together. Everything at once (except for the 1/4" back. I haven't cut those pieces yet. In my ignorance unrealized that I didn't measures the thickness of the plywood for the 2nd cabinet. Which made putting it together a little tricky. It was 0.68" instead of about 0.71 like the other. Other than that everything is good.
Wow, .68. Did they sell it to you as 3/4"? It's more than a 1/16" less. It's closer to 5/8" than 3/4". That sucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, .68. Did they sell it to you as 3/4"? It's more than a 1/16" less. It's closer to 5/8" than 3/4". That sucks.
Good question... Maybe it was my error after all the recipe says 23/32 instead of 3/4th. Usually 3/4 is actually 23/32 so maybe the one I bought was a little thinner.

Oh dimensional sizes haha.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only lumber I buy from Home Depot is 2x4's and CDX plywood. Get the good stuff from a real lumber yard that only deals in wood.
Will keep that in mind. Are you referring to not a big box lumber store (like ganahl lumber) and a real one?

I wonder if anyone knows any in Orange County California...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,538 Posts
I would glue it all up at one time. If the dados are fairly snug I don' t see a problem. No way would I try to glue up one side with the dividers and then put the other side on. If you did that it would be hard to keep it square.
Tom
Completely agree. I do not think you would ever be able to keep it square.

I would also have the back cut. I would use it to keep the whole thing square. You will have to be careful that it does not accidentally get glued on before you are ready.

George
 

·
In The Basement
Joined
·
460 Posts
I had a very similar project and I was chasing dados for hours before finding the perfect fit SINCE THE 3/4" THICK VARIED IN THICKNESS SO MUCH

Finally Once I got the perfect fit (after test fitting several times), I started gluing together and the dados were way too tight with the glue. So it wasn't perfectly square but ok for now since it was my first cabinet project. I noticed a 1/4" thick backing board would really help solidify the cabinet and keep it square

Looks like you built it pretty well though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a very similar project and I was chasing dados for hours before finding the perfect fit SINCE THE 3/4" THICK VARIED IN THICKNESS SO MUCH

Finally Once I got the perfect fit (after test fitting several times), I started gluing together and the dados were way too tight with the glue. So it wasn't perfectly square but ok for now since it was my first cabinet project. I noticed a 1/4" thick backing board would really help solidify the cabinet and keep it square

Looks like you built it pretty well though.
Yeah I'm thinking when I go to the store to bring my dial caliper. It was a small thing but I wish I had known in advance. I was able to get it square by using a number of rafting squares.

I am pleased with how these first two came out. I plan on making about 6 more. I had 1/4" plywood for the back as well but I won't attach it until I build the face frame and paint the cabinets. Ultimately it will probably be a different color than the cabinets themselves for accent.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Sandeply (shown on your receipt) comes from Ecuador, so is metric. In this case, 18mm (but HD just doesn't seem able to cope with metric so they say it's close enough to be 3/4 inch to call it that). Your experience was on the low side of the tolerance for 18 mm (17 mm and change) If you want 3/4 ply, you have to buy hardwood plywood from a real lumber yard. I never cut dados for plywood until after I've measured the plywood at many, many points on its edge with a dial caliper.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top