Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time posting so bear with me. I recently purchased a 315.228390 for a very reasonable price off of craigslist. I am currently in the process of getting everything set up and I noticed that I am missing a piece for what they call a riving knife, but is what I understand to be a spreader. The problem is I am missing the guard bracket, part number 979880-001 you can find a picture of it here, which attaches to the back of the spreader and wraps around the back of the table and then is screwed into the cradle. I would just buy a new one, but they have been discontinued, and I also haven't been able to find it on ebay either. Does anybody have a good idea on how to acquire or fabricate this piece? If anybody owns this particular saw would you mind taking some measurements for me? Thank you so much

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's correct, the part I am looking for has been discontinued. Fortunately I have the guard and the knife and pawls etc. What I am missing is the guard bracket and I haven't found anywhere to buy if from yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have seen a few ebay auctions that include the whole guard setup. I'd like to not have to pay $70 for a $20 part. Might be my only option however unless I can fabricate my own out of sheet metal. I know there are a couple of members on this forum that have the same saw. I'm hoping maybe one of them could give me dimensions of the bracket if that's what it comes down to.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sears-Craftsman-10-Contractor-Table-Saw-Blade-Guard-Splitter-Kickback-Assembly-/321345842262

I have everything else but the bottom right piece. It is kind of an odd setup. Part of the spreader goes through the insert and gets bolted into the top of the cradle. Then the bracket wraps around the back of the table and bolts to the back of the cradle.

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,587 Posts
I do have the same saw as you, and will try to get into my garage this afternoon, and see if I can take some detailed measurements of it. I was thinking that I could also maybe trace out the part on a piece of paper. That way you will have actual measurements with which you can attempt to fabricate a replacement.

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,587 Posts
Is this the part you are asking about?

I took the liberty to snap a few pics of the part that you are asking about (I think)... Is this it?

Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Pipe

I'm sorry the pic is upside down... I took it with my ipad, and not sure why it ended up, upside down.

If this is it, like i stated in a previous post, I can trace it in some paper, and send you the drawings, with as accurate measurements that I can take.

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,587 Posts
If you want to pm me your address, I can send you the drawings, or I could scan them into the computer, and email it to you (if you give me your email address).... Not sure if there willbe any degradation in the actual size if I scan it into the computer.

Reactions: laadams85

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,587 Posts
I received your pm and sent you an email with the tracing of the part, the dimensions, and even pics of me trying to take the dimensions. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Reactions: knotscott

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the e-mail, and it looks like you got everything I need. Thank you so much for being willing to help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey laadams85,

I did the exact same thing. I picked this item up on Craigslist and it works well, but I've been wanting to put the splitter on and that part was missing on mine too. I'm wondering, laadams85 or thegrgyle, can you send me the dimensions as well? I think I can fab it, but it would be easier to start from some measurements. Thanks!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Spreader

Hi!
Please keep in mind that the image reveals (2) ribs that are formed in the stamping process. These ribs may be difficult to reproduce when you make your dupicate. They are there to provide strength.
May we suggest, however, to double up on your duplicate to compensate (by laminating, via spot welds or fasteners) so long as it does not impair performance :yes:. Hard to see all ribs because of darkness of the piece.
Only in the affected area, of course!
Just sayin'.
Best,
Marena and Vinny
PS: right angle brackets might be better in keeping part square, though.

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,587 Posts
Hey laadams85,

I did the exact same thing. I picked this item up on Craigslist and it works well, but I've been wanting to put the splitter on and that part was missing on mine too. I'm wondering, laadams85 or thegrgyle, can you send me the dimensions as well? I think I can fab it, but it would be easier to start from some measurements. Thanks!
I would happy to send you the same info that I sent laadams85, but you can't pm until you have a certain number of posts... If you want to post your email on here, I can send it to you once I see it.

Perhaps, if laadams is making one, he could make two, and sell you the other one.......

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the only place in the world anyone is talking about this part. Is there any way I could get the dimensions of it from someone?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Call me crazy but I might have that part from my old saw. It looks very familiar. If I get the chance tomorrow I'll go out and check. If I've got it you can have it. You know most don't even bother with the tubing knife on those old saws. They get in the way sometimes and alignment is an issue.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts