Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to build my first piece of furniture and have the whole frame assembled. It is time for cabinet doors and I am finding that I am having trouble determining the right kind of hinges to use for my application.

Some notes:
The doors sit within the face frame, no overlay.
I planned to set the doors back 1/4 inch to create a consistent 1/4 inch reveal around the whole face. The other face pieces are already set back 1/4 inch.
The doors are going to be made out of 1" thick stock.

What would be the right hinge to ensure that the door can travel correctly?

·
7,222 Posts
I am attempting to build my first piece of furniture and have the whole frame assembled. It is time for cabinet doors and I am finding that I am having trouble determining the right kind of hinges to use for my application.

Some notes:
The doors sit within the face frame, no overlay.
I planned to set the doors back 1/4 inch to create a consistent 1/4 inch reveal around the whole face. The other face pieces are already set back 1/4 inch.
The doors are going to be made out of 1" thick stock.

What would be the right hinge to ensure that the door can travel correctly?
We need a picture or sketch to understand where the hinge will be mounted - on the frame, on the side, etc. and if on the frame, how much stock thickness and width.

I think you should have asked the hinge question when planning the project, rather than at this phase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Photos

Thanks for the response. I agree, had I know I would have planned better on the hinges but this being my first build I had so much to plan and no one to help (I am teaching myself) I had no idea this would be a complex part of the build. I am attaching a photo of the build that shows where the cabinet doors will be mounted. The legs are 2.5 inch wide and the stock for the door frame (I don't have a photo) will be 1" deep by 2.5" wide. Doors will enclose glass panels. Apologies for my pedestrian shop ;) working out of a small one car garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thick Door Hinges

Thanks for the reply. So you are saying I would have to move the door to be flush with the face frame? I have seen some applications on this board where the door sits back 1/4 inch or so like my planned build. Is that not possible because of the thickness of my door?

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Thanks for the reply. So you are saying I would have to move the door to be flush with the face frame? I have seen some applications on this board where the door sits back 1/4 inch or so like my planned build. Is that not possible because of the thickness of my door?
You can set the door back as far as you want. It's all in where you put the mounting plate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you!

Got it! Thanks again and thanks for the advice for a newbie on the forum ;) Just discovered the site today and cannot wait to learn more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts