Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Behlen Rockhard switched to urethane, and I'm having a terrible time finding an alternative.

I found two or three Phenolic, but they're only sold from boat supply websites (I can buy from there, if I need to.)

And I would prefer an Alkyd instead, to get less of an amber tone.

Or if you know of an alternative, my desire is to use a clear that I can sand & buff for a very high gloss.
I don't want to use automotive clear, because when wood gets moist and expands, it can crack the clearcoat (I am told.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm not totally sure why, but alkyd formula varnishes are getting a lot harder to find, and several seem to have been discontinued recently. The Cabot 8000 series (which was the same as the excellent McClosky's Heirloom varnish) has been discontinued apparently...and so has the McCloskey's. Old Masters also had an Alkyd formula that seems to have been discontinued. The Pratt and Lambert 38 product is an Alkyd/soya oil formula, and my favorite for when I want less of the warming effect. There is also Sherwin Williams Fast dry Oil varnish (careful, they also have a poly formula) which is an alkyd/linseed oil formula. It's a great product, but has more amber than I normally want. For a phenolic look for Waterlox Original, that's a phenolic/tung oil formula, and I haven't used it (fairly expensive) but is extremely durable and from what I've read the darkest of the varnishes out of the can. Maybe it's the perseption that has been fostered onto woodworker's that the only usable finish for anything is "polyurethane" (ugh!); I guess to some extent we can thank Norm for that....or maybe the finish companies who only want to reduce costs. Anyway, hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.