Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to make a long story less long. A friend gave me a Bosch 1604 router in fine condition. Unfortunately it only has a 1/4" collet and I need 1/2". I found 1/2" collets for the 1604A router, but they don't fit the older style 1604. I then ordered a custom collet from Elaire Corp and they sent me......another 1/4" collet instead of the 1/2" I ordered. After several days after contacting them they sent out the correct one and it has been lost in transit somewhere between Detroit and the left coast. That was about 18 days ago. This entire ordeal has taken almost a month now.
I am going to use this Bosch 1604 in my router table so I can remove my PC router from the table as it goes with my plunge router set. Does anyone have an idea where I can actually find this collet? I have tried Amazon, Ebay, and general searches. Suggestions anyone???
It may boil down to getting my lathe out and turning down one of the newer (longer) style collets to fit.
Thanks for any help.

·
The Nut in the Cellar
1,227 Posts
The only other possible source I can suggest is a local power tool shop. I have one nearby that among other brands is a Bosch dealer. They might be able to special order a collet. I was able of order parts for an ancient B&D 1/4 sheet sander once.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tim, but this was the first place I checked. Unfortunately this fits the "A" version, not mine as I already sent this back to them.
On a good note, the package was scanned into Seattle (450 miles away) just one hour ago. That only took 10 days for that leg of the journey. At least it finally moved on from Detroit, so there actually may be some hope I might get it this year (major sarcasm intended).
Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
I've had 'lost' packages go to some very strange places . . . if they're still scanning it, the package should re-appear on a doorstep not far from you (g)

small packages seem unusually susceptible to being 'caught up' in/on larger stuff and being 'accidentally' sent to far far away places....

·
Registered
2 Posts
The only other possible source I can suggest is a local power tool shop. I have one nearby that among other brands is a Bosch dealer. They might be able to special order a collet. I was able of order parts for an ancient B&D 1/4 sheet sander once.
Check a local tool repair shop. I found a collet for a 'no-longer-produced' Hitachi router after losing mine. They had one that worked.They had a whole box of older used router collets.

·
Registered
Bah humbug
3,935 Posts
For the Bosch 1604, it has 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 that works on it...

·
Registered
Bah humbug
3,935 Posts
That is exactly what the OP is looking for (a 1/2" collet), he just needs a source where he can purchase said 1/2" collet.
Why I suggested Ebay and it takes a 3/8 collet. I have the Bosch 1604. We used these on the 90's. They were also used in this machine.
3884583.jpg
20210304_090626.jpg

·
Registered
Bah humbug
3,935 Posts
I don't think he knows how to cross reference the numbers. I go to replacement parts and use there number to find it on ebay..I thought I seen several on there

It can be ordered in minutes from replacement parts..

I looked up Bosch 1604 Router collet and got several hits for 1/4 and 1/2.

Somebody ain't looking hard enough

·
Registered
566 Posts
I don't think he knows how to cross reference the numbers. I go to replacement parts and use there number to find it on ebay..I thought I seen several on there

It can be ordered in minutes from replacement parts..
Maybe you could show him? You have a Bosh, you have a part number, maybe you could help him out with some specifics?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your help and suggestions. The original "lost" collet is supposed to be delivered today.

·
Registered
Bah humbug
3,935 Posts
Maybe you could show him? You have a Bosh, you have a part number, maybe you could help him out with some specifics?
You have to find the original part number and cross reference it with the new numbers. I've got a 16054 router but I could only find my 1604A manual

I can't get to the router cabinet, but probably have the original wrappers with the original reference numbers on it...

Buried and cant get in.
20210304_095359.jpg

·
Registered
566 Posts
Search : eReplacementParts.com (click on this link) It says that there are 2 versions and one of them is discontinued, but there are 7 of the active number in stock. I have always had good dealings with www.ereplacementparts.com

Charley
As the OP already explained this part is NOT compatible with his machine. See the list below from the link you provided.
I found 1/2" collets for the 1604A router, but they don't fit the older style 1604.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi

If his didn't show up then here is the part number: 3600499501 for the 1601, 1602, and 1604, you can find it on eBay for $10.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts