Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to route a small slot 1/16" wide, 3/4" long, and at least 3/8" deep. I've found 1/16" bits, but the cutters are not long enough to cut 3/8" deep. Anyone have a source for a longer 1/16" bit, or have a different suggestion of how I could make this type of slot? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Laughing (at myself too)!

I thought of that but if the cutting depth of the bit is less than 3/8" .....

This is a toughie. I looked around on line and the longest 16th diameter bit I found was only 5/16".

I've never heard of a 1/16"kerf TS blade so that idea is a non-starter.

Maybe a glue up using a well waxed 1/16" spacer but then the thing would have to be removed. Eek!

Back to square one.

Without a clear description of the project its hard to suggest alternative methods.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Brainstorming here. Laugh away!

How about a glue up using a well waxed 1/16" thick metal spacer longer than the workpiece (edit: and taller than the slot).

After the glue sets heat the metal to liquefy the wax the pull the spacer out of the slot.

Or maybe I just need yo get to sleep?

:/

·
Old School
24,027 Posts

I'm trying to route a small slot 1/16" wide, 3/4" long, and at least 3/8" deep. I've found 1/16" bits, but the cutters are not long enough to cut 3/8" deep. Anyone have a source for a longer 1/16" bit, or have a different suggestion of how I could make this type of slot? Thanks!
A router bit that skinny would likely just snap off. You might be able to use a drill bit like this. It probably could not be mounted in a router collet, but maybe you could rig up a simple jig to use in a drill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I figured strength of the bit was why they don't seem to come longer than 5/16 in that thin of a cutter. The application I'm using it for is a little peculiar-- to make a slot that will snugly hold a penny buried half way in to the wood. I was hoping there might be an obscure or specialized tool maker that had a longer bit in a special metal material. Guess the search continues...

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I figured strength of the bit was why they don't seem to come longer than 5/16 in that thin of a cutter. The application I'm using it for is a little peculiar-- to make a slot that will snugly hold a penny buried half way in to the wood. I was hoping there might be an obscure or specialized tool maker that had a longer bit in a special metal material. Guess the search continues...
A drill bit can cut with its edges. Or, you could use a flat blade wood carving tool. There are many with thickness less than 1/16", and thicknesses varied on up, and different widths. A few taps into the wood you can make a nice clean tight slot.

·
Registered
994 Posts
What is the overall shape of the part you want the penny slot in? There are 1/16" thick slot cutters available, generally used for t-shaped edging. Another option would be to split the piece right where you want the slot, then face route 1/16" deep on one side. Then glue the part back together. Just be careful not get any glue in the slot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had considered a slot cutter, but would really like to isolate the length of the slot to the diameter of the penny (3/4in). The idea to face route before I glue the laminations could work though. I would have to change the orientation of the lamination, but it might work. Or I guess I could use the slot cutter idea and slot the adjoining laminated faces before glue up. Some stuff to think about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A 1/16 drill bit on a drill press wood do it. You lay out the portion you want to mortise on your material (1/16x3/4x3/8). Then make several drill holes as close together as possible. Then you will be able to clean it up with a utility knife (make sure it's sharp) or a small chisel blade putty knife. That should take care of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By the way, I'm a product designer by trade, and they've been talking about "crowd sourced" design like it's a new trend, but you guys and the communities around these forums are the originators of leveraging the Internet for "crowd sourced" designs. Thanks again, and keep it up!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Eek!!!! $$$$$$

I got a little dizzy but I caught myself before I fell down.

Cool technology but it's not a purchase I can justify for my small shop.

All the described benefits seem to be applicable to large production operations.

Thanx fer ferthring mi ejumikashun.

·
7,222 Posts
Eek!!!! $$$$$$

I got a little dizzy but I caught myself before I fell down.

Cool technology but it's not a purchase I can justify for my small shop.

All the described benefits seem to be applicable to large production operations.

Thanx fer ferthring mi ejumikashun.
Glad to read that you managed to avoid injury. :laughing:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, there would be two of them on the same plane that serve as a "ledge" or feet to hold a thin object against an inclined plane (like a business card holder or music stand.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts