Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi I need help find a web site that makes website for woodworkers found one that did it for $125.00 but can not get back to site if anyone knows how to fine this site please help :yes:

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Wow that is cheap...if you get what you want and they service it. You can make your own for $25 year here- http://www.doteasy.com/. If you are wanting a "virtual showroom" with customer contact and have a little time in my opinion that is the way to go. There are some guys here who use that host, give it a try and if you get stuck maybe we can help. Check out mine, a couple clicks and I add or remove stuff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you considered using website templates? Most prices I have seen go from $50 up to $1500 Since I use MS FrontPage I some times use this site http://www.frontpagetemplates.com/
The cost of web hosting is cheap and your url/domain name registration is also cheap. You can also search for web templates. They all come with instructions and support.

Tip: If you do get your site up and running your stats (visitors file) many not display visitors for 24hrs So I use a free real time stats company to see who has visited my site. It only requires a few lines of java code (which they provide) to be pasted into each page. http://www.statcounter.com/

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
The site I linked has a few hundred templates included in the $25 year hosting. And an easy to use website creator, really everything you need. My site is a little generic, but that is by design. That host has good tech support and tutorials for the complete novice (like me).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Daren - Looked at your site and really liked the urban salvaging efforts. I've seen great looking stuff on city trucks headed to he burn piles, but the city won't even consider selling them - probably because of the usual mumbo-jumbo "legalities/liabilities." It's a huge waste of a resource.

In St. Paul hey're in the process of cutting down huge American elms that survived the initial Dutch Elm onslaught but are now succumbing. I know it's not the most spectacular wood around, but from what I understand, removing the bark get's rid of the bugs. I can see the city's point on this one because of infestations. But it still bothers me to see trees with 4' diameters being burned. I saw a few down already and they were actually solid in the core.

Not to mention the big walnut logs I've seen going to the same burn pile.

Good work!

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
- probably because of the usual mumbo-jumbo "legalities/liabilities." It's a huge waste of a resource.

Good work!
Glad you liked it, believe me I fought the system at first, nobody would listen. It was uphill for sure, but I felt passionate about it (plus like you said they were just burning money, not just a beautiful natural resource)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah...you would think that all you have to do is say the word "money" to a city and they run over each other trying to get it. Apparently they dont know the value of what they're burning.

One guy I know chased a Chicago DPW truck for a couple miles , finally caught up and offered them cash for some walnut logs. No sale. In a city known for graft you would think the workers would have pocketed the cash and tell the boss he logs fell off he ruck somewhere.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
finally caught up and offered them cash for some walnut logs. No sale. In a city known for graft you would think the workers would have pocketed the cash and tell the boss he logs fell off he ruck somewhere.
I have found over and over a 12 pack gets those logs to mysteriously fall off the truck, right smack in my yard :laughing:. The local liqueur store things I am a drunk...they would not understand my wood addiction and the art of bartering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts