Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone can give me a little insight on this task. the attachede pictures, give an idea of what I'm trying to so. I have 2000 cl500 dash trim which the color is defined as chestnut or chestnut burl. My goal is to go from that 3 part radio which is considered 2.5 din, down to a 2 din aftermarket radio. this will involve cutting out the 3 part design to have one big opening, and then I'll need to fill in the space to make a 2 din opening, my plan is to back the opening with a thin piece of MDF, cut 2 din opening, and fill and smooth with fiberglass/bondo. up until this point that is easy. What I need help with is finding some kind of paper thin, I guess it would be veneer or vinyl that will match the current chestnut color in the vehicle to rewrap the whole piece to give it a factory look. so far I havent found anything that matches, and thin enough for me to wrap the piece in. I'm opent o all suggestions. My goal is to make this look as factory as possible, and keep cost down. here's a link to a similar project that was done http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1460281-s-class-how-make-double-din.html

Attachments

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

You won't be able to form fit a wood veneer to that panel. From the link you posted that panel was painted. Here's an excerpt from that link:

Next you will need to paint the bezel. I chose to make it look factory so I had mine airbrushed to match the existing wood in my S-500. I took the passenger window switch wood panel out to use as a template for wood tone matching. You can paint your ]s any color you want or find a good airbrush person to paint it for you. Here is my bezel after airbrushing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that was airbrushed, but I thought I'd be able to find some type of paper thin laminate or something that I could just adhere to the finished product.. I'm a newbie, so bare with me.. Is there nothing like that out there?

·
Registered
27,653 Posts
you might try fabricating a new panel out of solid wood where you could get that shape. Solid wood doesn't hold up very well with the heat of a car interior though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts