Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there, I’ve got a friend who wants to extend the length of their dresser to accommodate for a larger tv.

It’s dimensions will be 35” tall, 6” wide, 18” deep. He also wants it to be a cabinet to store stuff in.

Can I get some guidance on this? I’ve got many different tools to use except a pocket screw jig and a planer. I don’t have those. But I do have most everything else I would need. Anybody willing to help walk me through the basics of what I need and how to make it?

Edit:
This is more like a nightstand that I can just attach to the side of the dresser. Appearances are not important whatsoever, just functionality.

·
where's my table saw?
29,416 Posts
That would be a rather advanced project if you intend to match exactly what's there. No photos for us to picture what your present dresser is constructed like.
If you just extend the top with a separate board and an edge band that would be the easiest by far.
If you extend the case on one side or both sides, that's where it could get complicated. Cutting the case down the center may work, but that's rather advanced for several reasons, appearance wise and structural. I could do it, but could you? But, I have years of experience and a large shop full of machines.
I see that your title says "includes a cabinet".
A matching design to the original? Now we may be talking very advanced? Depends on the original style. Photos please!

·
Registered
Termite
5,027 Posts
Hey there, I’ve got a friend who wants to extend the length of their dresser to accommodate for a larger tv.

It’s dimensions will be 35” tall, 6” wide, 18” deep. He also wants it to be a cabinet to store stuff in.

Can I get some guidance on this? I’ve got many different tools to use except a pocket screw jig and a planer. I don’t have those. But I do have most everything else I would need. Anybody willing to help walk me through the basics of what I need and how to make it?
Picture would help..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sure, I see your perspective. I suppose it would be more accurate to say a nightstand that I can just attach to the side of the dresser. Here’s a picture of the side.

I won’tneed to make any changes to the actual dresser itself. More so just create an addition that will sit beside it and possibly screw into it from the inside

Wood Flooring Floor Gas Wood stain

That would be a rather advanced project if you intend to match exactly what's there. No photos for us to picture what your present dresser is constructed like.
If you just extend the top with a separate board and an edge band that would be the easiest by far.
If you extend the case on one side or both sides, that's where it could get complicated. Cutting the case down the center may work, but that's rather advanced for several reasons, appearance wise and structural. I could do it, but could you? But, I have years of experience and a large shop full of machines.
I see that your title says "includes a cabinet".
A matching design to the original? Now we may be talking very advanced? Depends on the original style. Photos please!

·
where's my table saw?
29,416 Posts
Just spitballin' ideas here:
If you add a 6" section on either side it could be a vertical drawer OR a solid panel with a door that opens on either side like a cabinet. A plain panel would be less intrusive than and easier than trying to duplicate some ornate design.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He’s not looking for fancy so as plain as I can make it will do.
Just spitballin' ideas here:
If you add a 6" section on either side it could be a vertical drawer OR a solid panel with a door that opens on either side like a cabinet. A plain panel would be less intrusive than and easier than trying to duplicate some ornate design.

·
Registered
13,208 Posts
I would not do that even if it was my own dresser, let alone somebody else's. Just too many ways it can go wrong and then you are to blame.

George

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the more appropriate description for what I need built is just a standalone nightstand that I can screw into the side of the dresser
I would not do that even if it was my own dresser, let alone somebody else's. Just too many ways it can go wrong and then you are to blame.

George

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't think this will end with a happy result, and it will become a learning experience. The finish will likely not match unless this is an ikea dresser you can buy again using the second dresser for materials.

The less it matches the pattern, the better IMO. You will not get it to look like it blends in with the design unless you basically double the size.

If you do it, make two narrow, tall boxes on either side. Add shelves or a bar on top. If you want it to look OK, you probably need to replace the face frame I think I see in that photo with a new one.

This will almost certainly cost you a much as buying a second dresser from target/ Walmart/ ikea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
appearances are not important for this. Purely just functionality. Take a look at some of my other replies to this thread as well.

I don't think this will end with a happy result, and it will become a learning experience. The finish will likely not match unless this is an ikea dresser you can buy again using the second dresser for materials.

The less it matches the pattern, the better IMO. You will not get it to look like it blends in with the design unless you basically double the size.

If you do it, make two narrow, tall boxes on either side. Add shelves or a bar on top. If you want it to look OK, you probably need to replace the face frame I think I see in that photo with a new one.

This will almost certainly cost you a much as buying a second dresser from target/ Walmart/ ikea.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
You mean he wants the length of the dresser to match the width of the TV, or is the base of the TV as long at the TV? I do not watch TV, so I am not familiar with them.

Can you explain the dimensions you propose? What can you do with a 6" wide cabinet? Couldn't you just fasten on a new top?
This is more like a nightstand that I can just attach to the side of the dresser. Appearances are not important whatsoever, just functionality.
In light of the dimensions you give, I still can't picture this, since a night stand is 20-24" high and a dresser is 35-40" high.

Beyond whether this is a good idea or not, before you do anything you have to see how the dresser is constructed and what can you can actually fasten to. There's good, bad an awful when it comes to mass marketed furniture.

Understand you're talking to people on a forum dedicated to craftsmanship, not really a DIY "git er done" type place. So don't get frustrated with the answers, for most of us appearances are everything so that's where we come from.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no frustration here! Just trying to be as descriptive as I can lol. I just hope you guys aren’t frustrated with me lol. Any way, take a look at this picture. Please excuse the crudeness of it.

Rectangle Font Automotive design Wood Parallel

the addition is what I’m looking to make let’s just pretend that I’m not going to attach it to the dresser at all for a minute and just focus on what I’m looking to build. Just think of it as a stand-alone piece of furniture to make with the described dimensions above.
Here’s another image to show the dimensions with shape
Font Art Rectangle Visual effect lighting Electricity

They also want this piece to include a cabinet door so they can store stuff in its and close it.

hope this brings clarity

You mean he wants the length of the dresser to match the width of the TV, or is the base of the TV as long at the TV? I do not watch TV, so I am not familiar with them.

Can you explain the dimensions you propose? What can you do with a 6" wide cabinet? Couldn't you just fasten on a new top?
In light of the dimensions you give, I still can't picture this, since a night stand is 20-24" high and a dresser is 35-40" high.

Beyond whether this is a good idea or not, before you do anything you have to see how the dresser is constructed and what can you can actually fasten to. There's good, bad an awful when it comes to mass marketed furniture.

Understand you're talking to people on a forum dedicated to craftsmanship, not really a DIY "git er done" type place. So don't get frustrated with the answers, for most of us appearances are everything so that's where we come from.

·
Registered
13,208 Posts
If appearance does not matter, then why are we even having this discussion? Just build something that is the same height and bolt it to the dresser and be done with it.

george

·
where's my table saw?
29,416 Posts
no frustration here! Just trying to be as descriptive as I can lol. I just hope you guys aren’t frustrated with me lol. Any way, take a look at this picture. Please excuse the crudeness of it.

View attachment 430820
the addition is what I’m looking to make let’s just pretend that I’m not going to attach it to the dresser at all for a minute and just focus on what I’m looking to build. Just think of it as a stand-alone piece of furniture to make with the described dimensions above.
Here’s another image to show the dimensions with shape
View attachment 430822
They also want this piece to include a cabinet door so they can store stuff in its and close it.

hope this brings clarity
Your sketch shows an addition that is so far out of proportion it's not even close to being 6" wide. As mentioned night stands are much lower and wider, so let's not even call it that. I would make a "bookcase" type addition with the back attached to the side of the cabinet. The shelves can be exposed or closed with a cabinet door.
If access in NOT possible on the sides, then you are "stuck" with a pullout like for baking or cookie sheets. OR a vertical stack of drawers like on the end of old sewing machines:
Property Table Wood Rectangle Musical instrument

Those old drawers make great jewelry or recipe boxes. The drawers are typically dovetailed together. OR you can just have open shelves from the front, whatever.

·
Registered
425 Posts
You say that the extension only needs to be 6" wide. That is not enough "cabinet" to do much with. DrRobert has touched on the solution. In my opinion, the simplest and best looking solution would be to make a new top for the existing chest that is 6" wider than the existing one. Center it on the existing chest with an overhang of 3" on each end. You could even make it so you don't need to remove the existing top. Just make it to lay or fasten over the existing top. This would preserve the existing chest so that it can revert to original condition if/when it is no longer needed for the TV.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you want to add 6", I would encourage an actual bookshelf that faces the side of the dresser.

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
All you are wanting is a plain box 6" wide. 35" tall and 18" deep.
It's just a box. Not very complicated. By the time you take away the thickness of the 2 sides you are down to 41/2" for the inside.
Surely you are not asking for just how to make a box? And add a shelf or 2? With an inside dimension of 4 1/2" wide and 18" deep? Most grown men couldn't even fit their arm in there. As an extension to your dresser or your friend's dresser?
Just nail or screw a few boards together and be done with it.

·
where's my table saw?
29,416 Posts
All you are wanting is a plain box 6" wide. 35" tall and 18" deep.
It's just a box. Not very complicated. By the time you take away the thickness of the 2 sides you are down to 41/2" for the inside.
Surely you are not asking for just how to make a box? And add a shelf or 2? With an inside dimension of 4 1/2" wide and 18" deep? Most grown men couldn't even fit their arm in there. As an extension to your dresser or your friend's dresser?
Just nail or screw a few boards together and be done with it.
That's exactly why I suggested a side opening door. That way you can have almost the full 6" of depth with no reaching inside a narrow compartment. OR if that's not possible, use a pull out panel and store or hang jewelry type things on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts