Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Nine Thumbs
399 Posts
Hook & loop pads do wear out after considerable use. If you can't get a replacement, you can sand off the remaining hooks and use one of the peel & stick to hook & loop conversion kits. I recently did this to a sander that wouldn't hold the hook & loop paper well any longer. It worked great and my sander works like new again.

Charley
This:

https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...0763&cjevent=42949739818911e9814b05330a24060f

I have replaced three hook pads (that I can recall, maybe more) on various sanders with this exact Gator kit. It works famously, and you will have half a tube of pretty good contact adhesive left over!

·
600 Grit
32 Posts
Mirka sells a pad protector which keeps your hooks from getting ruined by heat. It's designed for their Abranet and Autonet mesh sanding discs but it will work with pretty much any disc out there. If you have a 5" 8-hole sander, you'll likely have to add some holes which takes a few minutes.

I stopped using traditional sanding discs a number of years ago and started using Abranet. It got too expensive though and now i'm exclusively using Autonet which is almost identical but half the price (when on sale) for a box of 50. Autonet outlasts any other sandpaper i've used, but just make sure you use the pad protector. Otherwise your hooks will poke through the mesh and get melted off.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts