Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Any of you guys have suggestions for making my own fence post caps? I just finished my fence, scalloped picket style with 6" treated wood posts. I'd like make the post caps myself, but need some design ideas??

Any suggestions or plans would be appreciated!

thanks in advance!!

JP :yes:

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
I'll post a photo later.

It's simply a 2 X square block with chamfered edges at 45 degrees leaving a 1/2" or so flat. I made two different sizes and now that I'm rethinking it, I could invert the smaller one and stack them together. .....:blink:

It would be better If the sizes were more different. They are too close to the same size now. I just cut the chamfers on the bandsaw, set the miter guage to 45 degrees and held the stock vertically, rather than tilting the table to make a bevel.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can also miter a frame around the top so no end grain is exposed. Glue it and nail it or just nail it. The frame can be thicker than the flat center flat block so it fits sown over and around the post top for more rain protection.

There are metal caps for 4X4 posts but they don't always fit the best unless you glue them down with caulk. Don't know if they are made for 6X6 posts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts