Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am building a coffee table with a nice Peruvian walnut slab. Being that this species of wood is quite dark, what do you guys think is the best way to finish and to not lose out on its natural beauty.

The two products I am looking at is Osmo Polyx-Oil – 3043 Clear Satin or Rubio Monocoat Pure. I know Osmo may require a bit more sanding as Rubio tops out at 150 grit. Is there a visible or a texture difference if say with Osmo I sand to 320 grit and 150 grit with Rubio. Wouldn’t that feel different to the touch?

I’ve heard and seen great things about both but wanted some insight from the forum.

Any advice is welcome.

Thank you
Larry

·
Administrator
David
5,717 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Larry! Add your location to your profile, please.

We do like photos so show us your shop, tools, projects - Peruvian Walnut coffee table especially, etc. whenever you're ready.

I don't have experience with either finish but Walnut of all flavors typically gets lighter with age and exposure to light, so keep that in mind as you work through your finishing choices.

David

·
Marc
11 Posts
I have worked with black walnut before. I have never used Osmo Polyx-Oil – 3043 Clear Satin or Rubio Monocoat Pure so I won't no but I will tell you what I like to use. I like to use Minwax products like Helmsman Satin Oil-Based Varnish or Minwax Satin Water-Based Polyurethane. I hope this helps any.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I've used OSMO PolyX with good results, but I've never tried Rubio Monocoat. I completely agree with your viewpoint that if you sand to 150 for Rubio and 320 for Osmo, they're bound to feel different, especially since these finishes are in the wood and not film building finishes.

I used the OSMO on a banjo neck that I wanted to be slick, slick. I sanded 320, and used synthetic steel wool to apply the OSMO. It came out nice and smooth.

I will say that the OSMO didn't "pop" the grain as much as the "regular" oil finishes that I normally use. I think if I were finishing a beautiful piece of figured walnut, there are other finishes I'd choose first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I am also considering Oldies wood oil. I have seen some great results with dark wood. Osmo also has the Wood Wax Finish Clear Extra Thin which is also suppose to be good with dark exotic woods. In anycase I promise to upload the results when complete with full detail of how I ruined it or made it amazing.

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
On standard black walnut I have just finished with lacquer. Simple to apply and looks good for a long, long time.

George

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
To kind of add to what George said, I think on figured wood a finish like lacquer provides a better “window” into the wood than a low gloss oil finish. Well done varnish can look great too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts