Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older 5hp 120VAC SpeedAir compressor which has been giving me some problems lately. The unit will come up to pressure fine but frequently when the compressor shuts off, the pressure bleed that I believe is supposed to releave the pressure in the compressor itself, continues to leak down at a high rate, draining the tank. If I don't shut off the control switch, when it reaches the low pressure to cycle and attempts to start up, it can't and blows the breaker.

I've replaced the pressure switch which seemed to help at first but now the problem had gotten even worse. Instead of the bleed valve getting stuck open occasionally, it now gets stuck nearly every time. Did I simply get a bad switch or is there another componet involved that I need to look at?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
801 Posts
sounds like a bad check valve.... it's more than likely an "in tank" model if there's a line running between the pressure switch and the tank. I had one go bad as well it was leaking out the bleeder hole on it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A leaking check valve certainly makes sense. Are they readily available and easy to replace?

Jeff

·
Nobody
1,237 Posts
Yes, check the yellow pages for a compressor service company.

Not having your model number I looked online and they list them.
It seems there are several different ones.

When they leak they cause the tank pressure to back up in
the compressor making it start under load and kicking the
breaker as well as leaking out the relief valve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts