Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a set of chisels that has them from 1/8" to 1" I can't find a full set anywhere and I would like them to be as cheap as possible if you know where I can get them let me know thanks

·
7,222 Posts
I'm looking for a set of chisels that has them from 1/8" to 1" I can't find a full set anywhere and I would like them to be as cheap as possible if you know where I can get them let me know thanks
You do not state the type of chisel - paring, mortise, firmer, etc.

These are about as cheap as you can get. 1/4in - 1 1/2in for $7.99. The quality of the steel may be reflected by the price.

Buy two sets and grind one set down to give you the in-between sizes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/chisels-carving/6-piece-wood-chisel-set-3816.html

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have the narex chisels from lee valley $69 for a set of 7. If you go cheap prepare to do some work. I spent about 15 minutes flattening each one then had to hone them. You will need some good stones and probably a sharpening jig. I wouldn't go any cheaper. Look up fine woodworking's comparison for some good info.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I have a set of these from Lee Valley.

They are of fairly good quality and hold an edge nicely. The only thing is, they don't come in a 1/8" size. They start at a 1/4". But the price is certainly right.

Me I have what Kenbo has an they never let me down if you go cheap for one time use go to harbor Freight, if you going to use them for A LONG TIME INVEST THE MONEY IN A GOOD SET, you will be happy in the long run

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you I will probably pick up a set of those in ther person in my apprenticeship has them but hasn't used them yet to see if he likes them.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I would recommend the craftsman chisels. Made in the USA, sharp enough to shave with out of the package, lifetime warranty....and 30 bucks for the set.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Tell me about it....I cut myself unpacking them. Stupid clamshell packages.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I find that rather incredulous.

The Narex are good chisels for the $. I've grown more fond of vintage but it's more difficult to find a SET for cheap.
+1 on vintage. Sets are over rated my odd assortment allows me to know which chisel that I pick up by feel, no two are alike.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
The Narex are good chisels for the $. I've grown more fond of vintage but it's more difficult to find a SET for cheap.
The best place for finding "vintage" chisels are flea markets and garage/yard sales. You may luck out with a "set", but individually are usually less than $5 each.

·
Registered
27,908 Posts
Personally I can't tell that much difference between some of the high dollar carving chisels I have and harbor freight chisels. Once sharpened all work well. For a 1/8" chisel I just ground the width of a 1/4" chisel on my bench grinder.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Personally I can't tell that much difference between some of the high dollar carving chisels I have and harbor freight chisels. Once sharpened all work well. For a 1/8" chisel I just ground the width of a 1/4" chisel on my bench grinder.
I understand. Maybe the better ones stay sharp longer. I did the same as you to get an 1/8". Fot that one, I bought new from a big box.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
That very well could be.......and maybe if I was using them 8 hours a day it would be worth ones I needed to sharpen less.......but I don't.....and...if the craftsman ones get too dull I just exchange them...lol

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
[...] sharp enough to shave with out of the package[...]
I find that rather incredulous.
Tell me about it....I cut myself unpacking them. Stupid clamshell packages.
I believe you misunderstood my reply there. I was saying I was extremely doubtful they are sharp.

That very well could be.......and maybe if I was using them 8 hours a day it would be worth ones I needed to sharpen less.......but I don't.....and...if the craftsman ones get too dull I just exchange them...lol
My thumbs down gesture was in reference to you exchanging them when they are "dull". Aside from that being unethical (johnray anyone?), it validates that the chisels aren't sharp. You should learn to sharpen, sharp is a relative term but rough ground lacquer dipped chisels straight out of the package are about the furthest thing from sharp possible... More like an angled piece of steel.

This isn't to bash you but encourage you try a SHARP tool and reevaluate. It's worth learning to sharpen regardless of technique you go with.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I have sharpened them when needed....just not every time.....and i'm not looking to convince anyone......they work great for what I need them to do.......if they don't for you, then spend more on them.....thats your prerogative. I'm just disputing the thought that you need 100 dollar chisels to do woodworking.....to each their own. If buying high end chisels makes you feel better.....by all means spend away....

As for chisels becoming dull......are you saying your expensive ones never need resharpening?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
My thumbs down gesture was in reference to you exchanging them when they are "dull". Aside from that being unethical (johnray anyone?),

Oh....and by the way.....I'll overlook you insinuating that I'm unethical in the way a banned member is.....since you know me so well that is.

I can tell you that I have had in my possession, a company memo that instructed stores to replace hand tools regardless of issue, rust, dulled surfaces, obvious prying with screwdrivers ect. I have never misrepresented a tool I've exchanged. I clearly indicate why I'm exchanging it. Not my job to make policy.....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts