Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have been asked by my local woodturning club (I'm part of Education Committee) to come up with some ideas for semi-monthly challenges. This months challenge was inlays (mtg on 8/24). Here are some of the guidelines for our challenges:

- Be turned on a lathe. (small or large)
- Not require "special" tools. (Doesn't mean turners can't use them.)
- Not require special kits, etc (pens, bottle openers, etc)
- Should promote new turners to say, "yeah I can try that".

Promoting people to try new things is the key. Our Challenge has been on a rocky downslope as some key members of our club want to do away with it. We (Education Comm) have also told some members they are not "beginners" anymore and need to step up to the other table. We have about 108 club members, but only have about 6-8 people that seem to participate and we'd like to get others to join in. Any ideas you may have on ways to increase involvement or with actual challenge ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
7,222 Posts
I only joined our local Woodturning group back in February.

In this time period the challenges included :
a) Turn something based on a drawing.
b) Multi-axis turning.
c) Turn two identical items (not as easy as it sounds)

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only joined our local Woodturning group back in February.

In this time period the challenges included :
a) Turn something based on a drawing.
b) Multi-axis turning.
c) Turn two identical items (not as easy as it sounds)
Those are good ideas. Thanks.

Keep 'em coming though....

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
An "inside out" turning -- could be a tulip, a tree ornament, etc.

(It requires a glue-up, turn it, break the glue-up apart and rearrange the pieces, then turn it again.)

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An "inside out" turning -- could be a tulip, a tree ornament, etc.

(It requires a glue-up, turn it, break the glue-up apart and rearrange the pieces, then turn it again.)
Another great idea. It's been about 3 years or so since we did this. Definitely worth mentioning.

·
7,222 Posts
Keep 'em coming though....
How about making a bowl from boards. Many ways to do this. I have been turning less than 3 years so most of my work was flat work and most of my wood is boards.

The typical way is to cut ring out of a single board. Some of my early bowls were made by gluing a lamination from pieces cut from my boards. I still hate all the waste from turning a normal bowl blank.

I made this one first.

Shallow_bowl_top_side.jpg

I then wanted to see how it would look for the walnut ring to go all the way around.
Laminated_bowl_2_0751.jpg

I cut out the walnut semi circles on the band saw. They ended up being used in later projects.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi what you are doing is great. When I was involved with the local turning association we drew up a list of things the member could make for for each month of the year. For those who did not want to take part in the monthly task / home work a own choice could be made. Some ideas. Involuted turning, lidded box, hollow form any size, but hole must not exceed 1'', natural edge bowl, platter,pair candle sticks supply drawing with sizes, laminated piece, goblet with or with out captive ring, pair of cruets no mechanisms (o ring plug or cork plug ), any piece but must be embellished ( paint, pyro, texture, inlay any thing ), rolling pin, dowel 1.5" dia and 24" long made using only one tool no sanding. mallet, the list is endless. The other thing is ask the members what they wold like to do and also have a show and tell. Encourage neewbies to ask questions and share there flops so as to learn. Remember there are also a fair amount of members who only come for the social aspect of the club meet, my advice is accept it and move on sounds harsh but it is what it is. There are also only a few in a club who do all the work thats all over the world. I quit because I can not contribute as I cant drive due to a prothesis. Hope this helps Cheers Roger C

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
A turned cake plate (with pedestal), whether it's all from one piece or different woods and assembled.

Dave H

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
I like the multi axis turning. Get them to make a hammer or mallet handle from multi axis and shape it for a comfortable grip

·
Banned
615 Posts
I'm not a Turner, but how about two or three candlestick holders or raised candle plates with an identical figure but in varying heights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts