Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of remodelling a kitchen with a width of 6 1/2ft and length of 10ft, both overhead and bottom cupboards will have to be installed, if you have any tips or ideas you are free to share them with me.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Installation

You can use a 2x4 at the bottom or at the top either way works. The only thing that you have to think about is shimming. If you have to shim a lot the 2x4 will get in the way. Another way you can do it is by installing the base cabinets first and getting them level. Then you and make a support that sits on the top of the base cabinet that will allow you to rest the upper cabinet on it to get the same height for each one. This way will allow you to shim with no problems.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You can use a 2x4 at the bottom or at the top either way works. The only thing that you have to think about is shimming. If you have to shim a lot the 2x4 will get in the way. Another way you can do it is by installing the base cabinets first and getting them level. Then you and make a support that sits on the top of the base cabinet that will allow you to rest the upper cabinet on it to get the same height for each one. This way will allow you to shim with no problems.

What he said.

·
Pianoman
708 Posts
Find the highest area of the floor first. From there, run your level lines. It might be a good idea to set the corner cabs first. Find out if the counter top is already made. Measure the actual hight of the base cabs. The level lines on the wall should be 1/8th" above so you can shim to a visable line. Check that the room is square, and the walls are flat and plumb. In that small area...it might be a good idea to set the wall cabinets first. Oh by the way... I wouldn`t use full ext. drawer glides... and I hope the owners are thin! And if you`re building the cabinets... I wouldn`t go 24"s deep except where the sink and stove are!!!! excelent spot for a custom job. Hope it goes well. Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts