Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a cabinet that has dished and fluted corners. I'd like some advice (and preferably pics) on your jigs that you use to do the cove routing. I have a cradle that will hold the piece flat, but don't own an overhand router. I do have a router table as well a plunge router.

Here's a pic of one of the pieces I'll be routing out.

Show me the way o' wise ones. Thanks.

·
The woodwrongs shoppe
665 Posts
how close to rise points in the dish do you want to come?
and do you have a sign makers cove bit?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There might have been some tips in this thread.

Ha, that's obviously my thread and exactly what I'm trying to replicate. And while there were tips, I'm looking specifically for pictures of the jig(s) that you suggested in that thread.

As for the proximity to the curves, I'm not particular, in fact I'm not 100% sold on doing the flutes at all if I can't do it effectively.

Thanks for the link to the router bits... it may be something I can look into. Yes I do have a cove router bit.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I'm making a cabinet that has dished and fluted corners. I'd like some advice (and preferably pics) on your jigs that you use to do the cove routing. I have a cradle that will hold the piece flat, but don't own an overhand router. I do have a router table as well a plunge router.

Here's a pic of one of the pieces I'll be routing out.

Show me the way o' wise ones. Thanks.

Maybe something like this, sized appropriately of course.:smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe something like this, sized appropriately of course.:smile:
Yeah, that's something I'll definitely need to consider, since the pieces are to be routed on the 45 degree angle instead of the 90. Yours looks amazingly like my key spline jig. I could use something like that and drive some screws in from underneath to hold it firmly in place.

Wheels are spinning now. Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Success! Thanks for the tips everyone! They came out great and I'm very excited to have a new trick up my sleeve.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Looks great - how about some pics of the jig and/or some description of how you accomplished that:smile:

Reactions: Taylormade

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll try, but in the interest of full disclosure, it's nothing pretty. Once I figured out that I was completely overthinking this, I came up with something very simple.

I don't see myself needing this jig again anytime soon, so I didn't spend too much time on it. I ripped a "rider shelf" for the router plate to rest on and against and then shimmed between the first groove and the second. There's a 3/4" piece of plywood and a small strip of laminated flooring that act as the shims. Both are present for the first cut, remove the ply for the second run. The cradle holds the 45 degree angled piece straight and I used some drywall screws to hold the piece to the cradle.

I placed the clamps at the ends where my router plate would have started climbing up the arc. Overall, I'm very pleased with how they turned out. Here are some reconstructed pics with the test piece.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Gotta bust on ya a bit...........didn't your original example have the flutes turning out on the Lamb's toungue part?

I was waiting to see how you were gonna "time" the raising of cutter bit in that plane?If,using a "core bx" bit.......It can be done,but was wanting to see how you were gonna approach it.BW

·
John
3,028 Posts
Does what a jigs supposed to do so it looks fine to me. Function over form.
BW has a good question though, I don't know how to approach that. Some kind of ramp maybe. For my own personal taste, I prefer them stopped.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gotta bust on ya a bit...........didn't your original example have the flutes turning out on the Lamb's toungue part?

I was waiting to see how you were gonna "time" the raising of cutter bit in that plane?If,using a "core bx" bit.......It can be done,but was wanting to see how you were gonna approach it.BW
Ha, bust away. Actually it didn't. They stop before the curve too

I just wanted to make it somewhat close to resembling that piece. The rest should be cake.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does what a jigs supposed to do so it looks fine to me. Function over form.
BW has a good question though, I don't know how to approach that. Some kind of ramp maybe. For my own personal taste, I prefer them stopped.
actually I DID see one that a guy had made that had adjustable ramps on them. I'll see if I can find it again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts