Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advice needed. I am making a headboard. Trying to match the finish of the furniture in room. It is the attic heirloom collection from Broyhill, in black distressed. The ebony stain is not even close. Can anyone provide me with insight how to achieve a similar black finish. Would post pic on this thread, but doing a google search of attic heirloom collection black Broyhill will provide far greater picture clarity. I am having no difficulty achieving the desired distressed look, just can't match black finish.

Thank you,
Scott

·
Registered
27,735 Posts
There are different ones shown on google images. They show one that is a satin black with the corners worn to show the wood and they show one that has the grain accented with a light gray glaze. The first one is as simple as painting it with black paint and then rubbing some of the paint off the corners and coating it with a clear satin finish. The second one the wood needs to be a open grain wood such as oak or ash. Then paint it with a satin black and then apply a light gray glaze over it and wipe off the excess leaving the gray in the grain. What ever you try practice on scrap wood before you start finishing your headboard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wood is yellow pine. I was hoping to do this on a budget, but I am beginning to suspect that was my first mistake.

Practice attempts so far:

Ebony stain only. Results, too black.

Red Mahogany base stain, followed by ebony. Still too black.

Red mahogany base stain. Followed by ebony. Poly satin finish. Sanded with 0000 steel wool. Too black but closer).

Also tried a coat of mission oak on top of the ebony just playing around, helped a little but still not close.

Tried tinting the poly finish with both ebony and oak stain, just out of curiosity, not working. But it did help to darken the distressed areas nicely.

Think my problem is with the ebony. The finish on the existing pieces is a lighter shade of black than what the ebony stain achieves.

Will the black spray paint provide a lighter (grayer?) shade of black than the ebony stain?

Attach are pics of furniture I am trying to match.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.