Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for an idea on design for a book end for a shelf in my shop. Want to keep it shop themed, do woodworking, welding and mechanic work. I am not particularly creative so anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
How about a vise. One jaw on either end of the books. Could even add in a vise handle on one side.

A stylized machinists vise would probably look best.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I need some bookends, and I've been considering trying to buy some decoration-quality hand planes. Preferably old ones that aren't recoverable -- badly cracked soles, screws for the frog that are too badly stripped to recover, things like that -- but possibly cheap new ones.

If you're doing mechanic work, how about old engine pistons? They're probably heavy enough to help.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need some bookends, and I've been considering trying to buy some decoration-quality hand planes. Preferably old ones that aren't recoverable -- badly cracked soles, screws for the frog that are too badly stripped to recover, things like that -- but possibly cheap new ones.

If you're doing mechanic work, how about old engine pistons? They're probably heavy enough to help.
Thought about the pistons....I have a bunch of them sitting on the bench, two from chainsaws, a couple from sleds and some outboard motor pistons. Trouble is they are aluminum and pretty light, and I don't have a TIG.......want one though.

·
where's my table saw?
28,567 Posts
good ideas above

A Harley dealer may have some cylinder heads from an engine upgrade. I still have some of mine. I also have the ring and pinion gears from a 4 X 4 gear swap.
Old carburetors?
A couple of hand planes stood up vertically on the rear tote would look cool.
Electric motor or parts?
Old electric drills or saws.
Old hammers pulling out nails and epoxied in place.
Saw blades stuck in a kerf, maybe cut in half with a grinder?
Clear container with old nuts and bolts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts