Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carving Wood woodworking Column Art

x
x
x
x
x Found some wood. What kind is it?
x

Made a few trinkets. Never know what comes from the lathe till you're done.
Should I stain, polish, oil, burn?
The Dremel ran amuck on the first piece. I could use some guidance on the Dremel. New to me. Has a tendency to "climb" a lot.
I planned to do a similar thing to the next one, perhaps in the shape of a tulip. May make good candle holders.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Nice work - Don't think I'd be able to give much advice.:thumbsup:
On the dremel though, it's just a little router, you need to feed into the cut or it will try to run away from you. Pay attention to the bit rotation. Sounds like you were inadvertently doing some climb cuts. :smile:

Reactions: durdyolman

·
Registered
268 Posts
PBR? :eek: really? :icon_rolleyes:

I agree that inadvertent climb cutting is your problem, although I haven't found a fool-proof way to eliminate it from happening.
Excellent looking work. No advice to finishing though. My wife tells me that what I think looks good, no one else on this planet does. :no:
Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
View attachment 77863
View attachment 77864

x
x
x
x
x Found some wood. What kind is it?
x

Made a few trinkets. Never know what comes from the lathe till you're done.
Should I stain, polish, oil, burn?
The Dremel ran amuck on the first piece. I could use some guidance on the Dremel. New to me. Has a tendency to "climb" a lot.
I planned to do a similar thing to the next one, perhaps in the shape of a tulip. May make good candle holders.
first thing is get that beer can off the saw that is the worst thing you should do, now a circle of rust ??? i never do that to my saw or any thing with a metal bed, now i know you will say it is dry, that ok but wet ??

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always feed into the cut when possible. The 3 tools shown up front give me little problem. The culprit tool, installed in the Dremel, is supposed to cut but tends to "climb" and results in a bad wobble that tears out the material as shown in the pic, faster than I get it out or turn it off. I can see a little bit of run-out with the longer bits(s).
x
x
x
Metalworking hand tool Tool accessory Rotary tool Chisel Tool

Wood Tool accessory Machine Machine tool Planer

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wondered when that would come up

first thing is get that beer can off the saw that is the worst thing you should do, now a circle of rust ??? i never do that to my saw or any thing with a metal bed, now i know you will say it is dry, that ok but wet ??
The Blue Ribbon can is 15 years old. I just place it in pics for scale. Never a wet anything sets on my cast iron! Lathe, saw, DP, etc.
Jimmy

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PBR? :eek: really? :icon_rolleyes:

I agree that inadvertent climb cutting is your problem, although I haven't found a fool-proof way to eliminate it from happening.
Excellent looking work. No advice to finishing though. My wife tells me that what I think looks good, no one else on this planet does. :no:
Keep up the good work.
x
x
Thanks, I think? So, according to your wife, no one else on the planet thinks my work looks good?:laughing: No, I don't drink PBR, since many years ago. Dos Aqui now.:yes::icon_cheesygrin:

·
Registered
13,541 Posts
I think the beer can is there for a size reference.

Boy, you would have to see what I put on the top of my saw. When not in use as a saw the top doubles as a table. Generally though, I do have a piece of cardboard on top.

George

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My TS doubles as a work bench. A sheet of cardboard soaked in WD40 provides enough protection. Can't find a flatter or more solid surface.

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
HEY>> Whats wrong with PBR??:boat: Breakfast of champions!!

Nice looking work.. Can't offer much advice on the finish but post it in the finishing or turning sections & see what the gang there says.
As others said.. My saw table doubles as an available "flat surface". I do have a saw sled that's pretty much a standard fixture on it and I also lay a chunk of luann panel on top to keep BLO , glue etc off the rest of the works.
..Jon..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.