Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I asked a question here a few weeks ago and received excellent advise. The granddaughter is riding her Toddler Town Car all over the house. Score one for Pawpaw! I don't know how many posts I must make to qualify me to add photos. Thanks to Cabinetman and the others who answered my questions.

Now, for my current question. I'm a rank beginner working at building a Roubo bench per Chris Schwarz's WORKBENCHES book. I'll be ready to assemble the base as soon as I get the mortises done. Schwarz recommends using white oak pegs for drawboring the legs. Pegs for the stretchers will be 3/8" x 3-3/4" long. The pegs for the top will be 3/8" x 6". I do not have any white oak. I do have red oak, ash, ambrosia maple, and more mesquite than I can ever use. Would any of these be a reasonable substitute? If not, from whom might I order a small amount of white oak? I'm a 2 hr, 75 mph drive from a supplier.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I will make dowels from the red oak and the ash, then compare to see which I like better with the SYP top & legs.

Any particular reason I shouldn't use mesquite?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pardon my asking. I thought this might be a learning opportunity regarding different characteristics and properties of these woods relative to the intended use.

·
Registered
26,857 Posts
Thank you! I will make dowels from the red oak and the ash, then compare to see which I like better with the SYP top & legs.

Any particular reason I shouldn't use mesquite?
As long as it is lumber and not smoking wood mesquite would work fine. Wood takes a really long time to air dry where kiln dried lumber is more stable.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for the good info.
Hammer1, I have the Lie-Nielsen dowel plate. I'll do as you recommend and split the wood first.
Another question: I need to make a 5/8" wide by 1-1/2" deep by 56" long slot in the bench top. Can this be done with a smaller diameter spiral upcut bit in a plunge router? I couldn't find a 5/8" with a 1/2" shank.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes. I used a 1/2 x 2 1/2 straight bit and an edge guide. You just have to make a couple of passes for the width, and several passes to get to the proper depth.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CPS, I appreciate that info. Did you build a Roubo? If so, any tips or tricks you could pass on?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts