Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Smart and Cool
2,717 Posts
Well.. I called the manufacturer to ask for the screw specs, and found out they sell longer screws for wood grips. I had no idea. So thanks again for the suggestion. Glad I didn't spend money on tools to modify the holes and possibly mess up the grips!
Glad you figured it out, thanks for coming back and telling us the solution.

· Registered
29,412 Posts
Well.. I called the manufacturer to ask for the screw specs, and found out they sell longer screws for wood grips. I had no idea. So thanks again for the suggestion. Glad I didn't spend money on tools to modify the holes and possibly mess up the grips!
Probably all it would have taken is to take the screws to a hardware store and compare the threads. They would either be SAE or metric. I'm sure the manufacturer would have a better length.

· where's my table saw?
32,632 Posts
Probably all it would have taken is to take the screws to a hardware store and compare the threads. They would either be SAE or metric. I'm sure the manufacturer would have a better length.
Length and thread size are only two of the requirements for a firearm. The hardware store screws will be either cadmium plated or possibly stainless, not blued as would be most likely on a quality firearm.

· Smart and Cool
2,717 Posts
Length and thread size are only two of the requirements for a firearm. The hardware store screws will be either cadmium plated or possibly stainless, not blued as would be most likely on a quality firearm.
Not to mention the low profile, typically larger diameter heads.
I've trolled the hardware aisle a lot, I would say there is low odds chance of finding acceptable grip screws there.

· Registered
248 Posts
Looks like this problem is solved. Just as a fyi, you can make a counter bore by grinding the appropriate size drill flat. Lots of Youtube videos on how to. Won't have a pilot, so if starting from scratch you'd have to use a guide.

· Registered
154 Posts
The checkreing in the bottom of the counter bore is an interesting touch. I think that before modifying the hole I would try to find some longer screws. If that doesn't work, get a forstner bit of the proper size and set it up on a drill press. I'm assuming the screw hole is perpendicular to the surface of the back of the grip. If not, you will have to shim it on the drill press so the counter bore will remain in proper alignment. Of course, if you do it this way, you will lose the checkeing in the counter bore.
Further thinking; could you use a small chisel and carefully shave off the tops of the checkering at the bottom of the hole. Would that be enough?
The checkering in the screwhead relief is probably do to the checkering being impressed first and the relief hole was formed by subsequent impression forming.
My suggestion it to return these inexpensive Chinese grip scales and buy a higher grade replacements.

· Registered
2 Posts
yomanbill said:
The checkreing in the bottom of the counter bore is an interesting touch. I think that before modifying the hole I would try to find some longer screws. If that doesn't work, get a forstner bit of the proper size and set it up on a drill press. I'm assuming the screw hole is perpendicular to the surface of the back of the grip. If not, you will have to shim it on the drill press so the counter bore will remain in proper alignment. Of course, if you do it this way, you will lose the checkeing in the counter bore.
Further thinking; could you use a small chisel and carefully shave off the tops of the checkering at the bottom of the hole. Would that be enough?

The checkering in the screwhead relief is probably do to the checkering being impressed first and the relief hole was formed by subsequent impression forming.
My suggestion it to return these inexpensive Chinese grip scales and buy a higher grade replacements( ideally you would find some local gun store like Gun Store | Guns For Sale Online and check what they've got, but in my experience you rarely can get quality wooden grips there, it's all polymer/polytape usually).
I mean swapping to something better always an option, but those seem like custom-made, hence I assume OP wanted those specific grips, so don't think that's an option.

· Smart and Cool
2,717 Posts
I mean swapping to something better always an option, but those seem like custom-made, hence I assume OP wanted those specific grips, so don't think that's an option.
You likely didn't read the whole thread, the OP contacted the manufacturer of the pistol, they actually produce longer grip screws for the wood grips, his issue is solved.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts