Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've just finished building a corn hole score board and I've run into a dilemma on how to make it stand up for use during play. I knew I would have to solve this problem while I was designing/building it but figured I would come up with a solution by the time I was done. Uhhhh...

The score board is 4 feet long and ideally needs to be up off the ground about 2 feet. Obviously, it needs to not tip over when the score markers are slid up and down the board. I will be taking this on camping trips where there will be all kinds surfaces it will set on (but it won't be on any kind of pavement). Not sure if I would be able to drive something into the ground for stability in all locations or not. Maybe some sort of tripod or easel solution would be better. Needs to be relatively portable as well.

I've tossed around a lot of ideas in my head but find problems of varying degree in each. Looking for ideas to consider.
Sports equipment Wood Floor Building Wood stain

Door Wood Wood stain Home door Religious item

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
I would try to mount/attach it onto some sort of disc, 2" -3" (maybe 4") thick, a wooden disc of the same wood. The disc would have 3 legs, a tripod, which will stand firm on any uneven ground/surface.

BTW, that pointing-down looking arrow notches assembly is similar to, reminds me of, an adjustable shelf support assembly on an 1820s cabinet, built by a famous cabinet maker whose name I can't recall at the moment. I used that kind of shelf support on a rustic China cabinet build and for a TV cabinet I made for my nephew's son's bedroom. I thought that design element was very appealing, as it is with your score board. Good job.

Sonny
https://flic.kr/p/UC5WHE https://flic.kr/p/vaYPot https://flic.kr/p/2ju4Qwz https://flic.kr/p/2ju3tU3

·
Registered
332 Posts
My first thought, before I read all of your post, was a couple of steel rods (maybe 1/4" with the tip cut at angle) that you could pound into the ground with mounts on your score board where the rods could be removed for storage (maybe you drill holes up the board you have the numbers on if you have a long enough drill bit to go far enough for strength). We mount our Christmas decorations like that. At 4' it's probably top heavy and if you want it up 2', the rods might not work so good. And, there's the issue of not knowing what is in the ground where would drive the rods (I forgot about a low voltage line and drove a rod for a decoration through the line).

I would google it. I do that a lot when looking for ideas. Sometimes I wind up combining more that one idea. I just tried cornhole scoring pole and found several examples. This one uses a fence post, which would probably be strong enough for you, but still leaves you with the problem of driving it into the ground. Cornhole Scoreboard on a Stake Outdoor Games Score Yard | Etsy

By the way, very nice job. Cornhole games are on my to-build list. I've never seen or thought about a scoring system. One more thing on my list now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My first thought, before I read all of your post, was a couple of steel rods (maybe 1/4" with the tip cut at angle) that you could pound into the ground with mounts on your score board where the rods could be removed for storage (maybe you drill holes up the board you have the numbers on if you have a long enough drill bit to go far enough for strength). We mount our Christmas decorations like that. At 4' it's probably top heavy and if you want it up 2', the rods might not work so good. And, there's the issue of not knowing what is in the ground where would drive the rods (I forgot about a low voltage line and drove a rod for a decoration through the line).

I would google it. I do that a lot when looking for ideas. Sometimes I wind up combining more that one idea. I just tried cornhole scoring pole and found several examples. This one uses a fence post, which would probably be strong enough for you, but still leaves you with the problem of driving it into the ground. Cornhole Scoreboard on a Stake Outdoor Games Score Yard | Etsy

By the way, very nice job. Cornhole games are on my to-build list. I've never seen or thought about a scoring system. One more thing on my list now.
Thanks. I'm happy with the way it turned out - mostly. The teeth are a bit ragged I think but they are mostly out-of-sight.

Yeah, my initial thought was driving a rod into the ground and inserting it into a sleeve of some sort attached to the board but got to thinking about hitting water lines or whatever and incurring the wrath of a campground operator.

My current thinking (as I type this) is to make a ~ 2' board with a slot in one end to accept the end of the scoreboard so it's basically just an extension of the score board. Then, a block at the top with two holes drilled at an angle that would accept long dowels such that they flare out and back like the legs of an easel, forming a tripod.

·
Registered
332 Posts
flare out and back like the legs of an easel, forming a tripod.
Good idea on the easel/tripod concept.

We have one of those 10' x 10' pop-up canopies. When it is on a surface where we can't stake it down if there is wind, we have weights that go over the foot at the end of the legs to weigh it down. I suppose something like that would work too.

Curious - why do you want to raise it up 2 feet?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Well, considering a single rod support, like an 8' copper coated ground rod, it shouldn't be too hard to insert it 2' into the ground..... just pour a little water at the insertion site, periodically, and push-pull the rod up and down and it slowly sinks itself into the ground. You won't have to hammer it into the ground. This should work ok if there are no major rocks in the ground. By slowly inserting it slowly, this way, you wouldn't/shouldn't have any issues/worries about any wiring or pipes in the ground.

Two feet of the rod in the ground, two feet bare rod above the ground, then four feet of the rod attached to the 4' score board.... allows your score board to be 2' off the ground.... accounts for the total length of your 8' ground rod. Attaching the rod aesthetically to the score board may be an issue, though.

Sonny

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This should work ok if there are no major rocks in the ground.
I'm in New England. Rocks are everywhere :)

Attaching the rod aesthetically to the score board may be an issue, though.
Yep. I don't think I have a good place to attach a sleeve to accept the rod. The cars have to be free to move so that leaves the center spine/sawtooth and I just don't quite see how that would work (well).

·
Registered
550 Posts
I think if it were me, I'd try something easy at first. Maybe just add a couple blocks to the back of the scoreboard at the bottom and drill 3 angled holes to accept removeable dowel rods.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think if it were me, I'd try something easy at first. Maybe just add a couple blocks to the back of the scoreboard at the bottom and drill 3 angled holes to accept removeable dowel rods.
Hmm. Kinda like this idea. Shorter dowels is a plus.

I'll mull on this - thanks!

·
Registered
Retired Steel Fabricator
50 Posts
Your focus should be on playing the game and learning the rules, not worrying about the outcome. I suggest you cut on the red lines and make little trophies for ALL of the players instead of paying more attention to someone just because he/she/they/them/us/you is better than he/she/they/them/us/you.
Wood Font Fixture Gas Door

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your focus should be on playing the game and learning the rules, not worrying about the outcome.
The entire point of the rules is to be able to determine an outcome. If you learn and follow the rules, there will be an outcome. The scoreboard merely makes the outcome easier to calculate.

But thanks for your contribution.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Unless you need the scoreboard for immediate use, I'd recommend a non-easy fix. You've already put in some good time and the scoreboard looks really nice. Don't skimp on subsequent design elements simply to finish the build.

Stretching the imagination.....???

I would suggest something more substantial than dowels. An 8' ground rod cost only about $20.

If you're going to add blocks to the bottom, for rod support, then why not consider a 3" or 4" disc. A round/disc design element is a decent contrasting element to your already straight-cut/straight-edged boards. With a triangled leg support system, the overall image might resemble something ready to launch from Cape Kennedy. A large enough disc, but not too large, would allow space for some routed oval depressions, drink holder spaces at the base of your (rocket?) scoreboard.

Whimsical: At the end of your rods, bandsaw some foot pads in the image of footprints. Neanderthal footprints may not be distinguishable as to left and right feet.

Your corn hole competition will be so enamored and distracted with your design and workmanship, that you would be assured to win the competition.

Sonny

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I know you've all been on pins and needles awaiting the final solution.

In the end, I've just been using it propped up against a tree or my truck and it's worked just fine. Nothing else to carry. Nothing to set up before play. Maybe someday I'll embellish it but for now, it's just fine and frankly, it's been a joy to use.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts