Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all,i just joined...i,m 63 and retired...I,ve always been interested in working with wood...and my passion was to make my own dining table and chairs....from...a wood slab....a few weeks ago I bought some nice Elm slabs from my local sawmill,..I got the slabs for a pittance really...it was well seasoned...and...over the past 4 weeks..i have made the table and chairs....what i need to know..is what is the best finish for the table top...and for the chairs...btw..how do i go about inserting pics...
thanks in advance

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is a "plus" symbol in the upper right corner of the page; next to the send/post button. And I only know this because I just posted a picture myself.

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
There are a number of different finishes you could use. If you are not staining the elm in time a lot of finishes especially oil based finishes will yellow. If you have the means of spraying you could use a pre-catalyzed lacquer, water based polyurethane or conversion varnish. If you don't mind the yellowing probably the best all-round finish would be Behlen Rock Hard Table Top Finish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts