Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've surprised myself getting this far but have to admit that I'm lost at this point. I just want to attach a flat top about an inch bigger (in front & sides) than the frame. Also, is the back of the top usually flush with the back? Thanks for any ideas/suggestions. Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
With a wood top, you have to be concerned about expansion and contraction over time. Therefore, it would be a mistake to glue or otherwise fix it to the base. There are numerous ways to accomplish the attachment, including metal top clips. Google and you will find better explanations.

Backs are usually flush-normally, at least that's how I do it. Unless back is not against the wall.

Good luck,

Blue

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I would install three front to back rails about 2" wide. One at each end and one in the middle. If the boards are in lengths from one side to the other, you can install a fixed screw in the middle of each rail up into the top. At the front and back at the ends make a slotted hole and install the screws just snug. You can use pan heads or washer head screws.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would install three front to back rails about 2" wide. One at each end and one in the middle. If the boards are in lengths from one side to the other, you can install a fixed screw in the middle of each rail up into the top. At the front and back at the ends make a slotted hole and install the screws just snug. You can use pan heads or washer head screws.

Hi Cabinetman, I'm pretty sure I understand what you are saying. Thank You. I am going to go put in the three rails right now.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope I at least came close to what your advice was cabinetman:

They don't show but there are 1/4" holes in the center of each mounting board.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I hope I at least came close to what your advice was cabinetman:

They don't show but there are 1/4" holes in the center of each mounting board.
You got it!! You can secure the screws in those center holes, and the ones at the ends have to allow for cross grain movement. Do not use glue on top of those rails. It would also be a good idea to apply the same finish on the underside of the top as you will to the topside.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I'm glad that was what you had in mind......I can see the reasoning behind it too. I wish I could have figured it out though......now I know!

And Thanks again, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The wood is #1 poplar. It's going to be sealed with a couple of coats of sanding sealer and then painted one of the "Heritage" colors. Fine sanding between sealer coats.

·
Super Moderator
5,116 Posts
Looks nice Adot. I would make the top a bit oversize to allow for som crown molding to run around both sides and the top. Maybe about a 2" crown, nothing real big.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks nice Adot. I would make the top a bit oversize to allow for som crown molding to run around both sides and the top. Maybe about a 2" crown, nothing real big.
Mike Hawkins;)
Thank You.....I glued up my top this evening and left plenty of wiggle room size wise, still thinking of the way I want to finish the top.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts