Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother has a old kitchen knife . Which was my great grandfathers.
Any way , the handle came off the blade .
tonight I sand under the handle to level it back out . Now the handle sit flush with the blade . So I epoxy the handle back to the blade .
Tomorrow I'm going to resharpen the blade .
My ? is the handle . its got this very old look . I dont want to take that away .
Should I clean the handle with dawn and use cooking oil to seal the wood ? or leave it alone
This is where I need a advise what to do .
She cuts chicken, beef and what ever needs cut .
thank you

·
where's my table saw?
28,745 Posts
Does the steel blade extend all the way into the handle, a "full tang"?
Were there any rivets holding the handle to the tang?
Epoxy may eventually fail because of the different materials and temperature changes if washed in hot water, OR it may last a long long time. Rivets or screws will help hold it together. I made some like these with a full tang and special screws to hold the rosewood, "scales" on.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the steel blade extend all the way into the handle, a "full tang"?
Were there any rivets holding the handle to the tang?
Epoxy may eventually fail because of the different materials and temperature changes if washed in hot water, OR it may last a long long time. Rivets or screws will help hold it together. I made some like these with a full tang and special screws to hold the rosewood, "scales" on.

Thats some good looking knife you made

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Picture to where to big .That was the problem

By the look of that handle ,you will not take the years away from it by over sanding , and nor do you need to try.

I reckon all it needs is a light sand to get the excess resin off , and the scuff marks off the end .
And a tickle up on the blade to get it razor sharp again.

Don't even try changing the shape of it either , it won't feel right in Mum's hand .
Just a bit of cooking oil to make it shine when you give it back to her. The fats and oils from the chicken , beef , and whatever else will do the rest .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts