Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a wooden cat drinking fountain for my four-cornered animals, but I am thinking about whether this wooden drinking fountain can provide safe and clean water, or should I buy a smart cat drinking fountain on Google?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am making a wooden cat drinking fountain for my four-cornered animals, but I am thinking about whether this wooden drinking fountain can provide safe and clean water, or should I buy a smart cat drinking fountain on Google?
I'd want to seal it with a food-grade epoxy, so that you can clean it effectively.

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
4,666 Posts
cats are very sensitive to chemicals - there is no way I would subject my pet to anything of a home made nature.
buy it online and sleep well at night knowing you did the right thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are commercial solutions in both ceramic and stainless that I found with a quick search at PetSmart's web site. I personally wouldn't recommend any of the plastic ones just from experience (they never quite come clean).

I tend to think that a properly-cured food-grade epoxy resin that is from a manufacturer that actually meets the relevant standards is likely to not be problem either, as part of the standards is going to have to do with how it leaches into things it contains.

But I certainly understand caution when it comes to the fuzzys.

·
Registered
27,574 Posts
I think it would work alright to finish the wood with epoxy. It's something that would have to cure a few weeks before using it though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After thinking about it, I also feel that wooden ones are not only not antiseptic, but also not good storage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cats are very sensitive to chemicals - there is no way I would subject my pet to anything of a home made nature.
buy it online and sleep well at night knowing you did the right thing.
Yes, I agree with you. Their sensitivity is stronger than ours. Still need to buy a quiet cat water fountain online. So everyone can sleep peacefully every night

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are commercial solutions in both ceramic and stainless that I found with a quick search at PetSmart's web site. I personally wouldn't recommend any of the plastic ones just from experience (they never quite come clean).

I tend to think that a properly-cured food-grade epoxy resin that is from a manufacturer that actually meets the relevant standards is likely to not be problem either, as part of the standards is going to have to do with how it leaches into things it contains.

But I certainly understand caution when it comes to the fuzzys.
I quickly found an automatic cat water fountain on laika pets. They said that the working power is 29DB. I searched it again. This noisy environment is friendly to cats and has no effect on human sleep. Depends on good

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
29 dB is whisper quiet, not loud at all. I have no idea what the term "working power" means, especially when expressed in dB units.

·
Registered
801 Posts
29 dB is whisper quiet, not loud at all. I have no idea what the term "working power" means, especially when expressed in dB units.
My guess is that means it is 29 decibels when under load.
Similar to rating the noise level of a generator either at idle or under load. Some companies will claim the decibel level while the engine is idling, when in actuality, the noise level is much higher when the unit is actually under working power.
I also realize the noise level may not change all that much in regards to an electric motor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts