Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at Micro Jig Splitters, but I don’t understand how they attach. It looks like holes are drilled to mount them, but how are they aligned up and kept from falling out?

Also is there something better that I can use?

·
Registered
885 Posts
the micro jig fits into two small drilled holes. It fits very snug. Mine has never fallen out. It came with a template to aid alignment. they do work well

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the micro jig fits into two small drilled holes. It fits very snug. Mine has never fallen out. It came with a template to aid alignment. they do work well
Thanks I didn't know about the template. That helps a lot. I never really had a problem until recently when I tried ripping some pine and the wood grabed the blade pushing it back toward me. :eek:

·
7,222 Posts
+1 with DST. I used the Micro jig in my previous table saw and it was a snug fit. Worked well.

The only time the micro jig came out was when it did its job. A piece of wood wanted to close after the cut. Easy to tell due to increase in feed pressure needed. I turned off the saw and when I pulled the board up and away from the blade, it pinched the micro jig and lifted it out. I was happy to have a splitter that day.

My present saw has a riving knife.

The Micro jig is now available in a version with steel reinforcing.

You just need to get the version which fits the thickness of your blade - full width or thin kerf blade.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
a drawback to those small splitters is that taller stock blade kerfs could conceivably close up once past the front of the blade. i'd use the OEM splitter/blade guard. just cut an access hole in the outfeed table, like i did on both my emerson built 10" CI TSs. the first pic is the ridgid, the second is a c-man.

Attachments

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks but my saw is a little more complicated because I enclosed the motor for dust collection.

·
Registered
834 Posts
You could also try this http://www.theborkstore.com I had it on my last saw and loved it. While you might not be able to get a riving knife for yours he also has a splitter setup with a blade guard that work good.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You could also try this http://www.theborkstore.com I had it on my last saw and loved it. While you might not be able to get a riving knife for yours he also has a splitter setup with a blade guard that work good.
Thanks, I would love to have that because it tilts with the blade for bevel cuts, but unfortunately the ad has a disclaimer for my saw.

“It will NOT fit Craftsman contractor (113.******), Ridgid contractor, Delta 36-714 hybrids or DeWalt 746 saws.”

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shark Guard makes a splitter/guard that should work with your saw.

Thanks knotscott, I went to the site and found the kit for my saw. I have to say I was really excited until I saw the installation photos. They use the original guard support for my particular saw off of the back which I don't have access to.
I've enjoyed my dust collection modification and I'm not willing to modify it for fear of losing vacuum.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Thanks but my saw is a little more complicated because I enclosed the motor for dust collection.

nice and interesting modification. a few questions though,

1. the metal enclosure bottom pan doesn't seem to have any way for the saw dust to be removed form it's bottom. how is this accomplished during saw operation?

2. does that metal motor enclosure provide sufficient room for the motor to bevel to 45°?

3. would cutting an access hole in the outfeed table for the OEM splitter really impact air flow for dust collection that much? or would it possibly provide make up air for improved dust collection?

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
nice and interesting modification. a few questions though,

1. the metal enclosure bottom pan doesn't seem to have any way for the saw dust to be removed form it's bottom. how is this accomplished during saw operation?

2. does that metal motor enclosure provide sufficient room for the motor to bevel to 45°?

3. would cutting an access hole in the outfeed table for the OEM splitter really impact air flow for dust collection that much? or would it possibly provide make up air for improved dust collection?
The saw dust is sucked out under the saw blade and then through a Blast Gate in front. I use a wye in front to also capture saw dust from my joiner. I little dust gets trapped in the corners of the motor compartment, but not enough for me to be concerned with although I do open it up to check the motor and usually suck it out.
Here is a thread I started about it. http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/dust-collection-older-craftsman-contractors-saw-11186/

I also have more photos in my Table Saw Modification album

I have a slot along the back rail to collect saw dust from the table top that gets hung up on my fence wheel. I put a wheel on fence to keep it from getting caught on my right table extension.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/finally-some-progress-my-table-saw-11112/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts