Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding an old Roebuck tilt table saw and am looking for a power switch. Preferably a round, push/pull button, but can not seem to find much of anything online. If anyone knows whereabout i could find something like that i'd appreciate it. Thanks

·
John
3,028 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. That is more than I could find, but no not exactly what i'm lookin for. I never liked those switches, I used to use a unisaw with a single round pull/push, and would like to find the same one.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Thanks for the reply. That is more than I could find, but no not exactly what i'm lookin for. I never liked those switches, I used to use a unisaw with a single round pull/push, and would like to find the same one.
I know what you mean, just haven't seen any in years. They do use similar for emergency shutdowns on equipment, you may try searching for that.
Good Luck:smile:

·
Registered
293 Posts
You can find emergency shut off switches at all electrical supply houses. The way the work is push off and quarter turn on. They look similar to the picture. Good luck

image-1181378697.jpg

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
MacWood said:
Many of those have been replaced by the paddle type for safety. That's probably why your having difficulty finding exactly what you want.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I put one on my Unisaw (and my drill press and my router table) like Ryan linked to in his first post. I want to be able to get to the 'OFF' switch fast and easy! I actually swiped the red paddle off a new switch and made a bracket to adapt it to my Unisaw's original magnetic switch. The original switch's 'OFF' button was really hard to see and reach quickly.

Bill

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I have the same problem with my Uni Dodge.

I either have to squat and squint which puts my face in a vulnerable position in an emergency or do a blind grope.

I like that Grizzly switch.

Now for the stupid question...

Does a magnetic switch attach to the saw magnetically or does that term describe yet another electrotronical whatzit beyond my limited electrotronical understanding?

I'd like to see a pic of your setup Dodge when you have the time.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Jeff,

The magnetic switch is a electrotronical whatzit but not so hard to understand. It's set up so if there's a power failure while you're running the saw and you don't remember to turn the switch off, the saw doesn't automatically start when the power comes back on. This could lead to nasty surprises - so it's basically a safety feature. On my Unisaw, the switch is actually a low voltage switch that works a relay in the motor control box.

Here's a picture of it:

I just bent up an aluminum bracket and mounted it on the switch plate's screw. The 'paddle' I scavenged from a conventional 110V switch from Rockler or someone. You can see that the original switch has enough wear that the "START" is about worn off. It works fine, though.

You are correct that the original power switch required squatting, squinting and groping. Since the avatar picture was taken, I've moved the switch to the left of the saw, which helps, too. I just drilled and tapped a hole in the bottom of the Unifence rail, which also had the advantage of moving the switch further forward so it's easier to see and reach. I can also turn the saw off with my knee.

Bill

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Putting a paddle switch on my Unisaw, was the best safety and convenience change, I have made to my shop. My upper leg shuts the saw down, after the cut is made, without having to remove hands form the work.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
allen bradley 800 series switches likely have what you want. but the paddle is definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks TimPa. Thats what i was lookin for. alot more pricey than i'de expected but definitely what i want. Thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts