Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old trusty shop apron has finally been laid to rest. It has served me well throughout the years and I will miss it.
So I've been looky looing on the web and just can't seem to find anything that strikes my fancy, so I thought I would see what my fellow woodworkers like.
I just realized maybe I'm the only one that likes wearing a shop apron, boy I hope not! Anyways I like one with pockets and it must have straps that go over the shoulder Not one that hangs off the neck.

Any ideas?

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,385 Posts
You're not alone. I love my shop apron. I keep certain things in my pockets that I use all the time. Pencils, erasers, tape measure, a pencil sharpener, knife......well, you get the idea.
Either way, I've been wearing one like this for years and love it. It is very comfortable with the crossing shoulder straps it doesn't hang on the neck at all. Check it out and see what you think.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=57647&cat=1,43413,45989
By the way, what happened to your other one?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I got one from Duluth couple of months ago, mainly because it has mesh bottoms in the lower pockets, keeps all the saw dust from piling up. That part works well and it has plenty of pockets for me. What I don't like is the straps, after a few hours it really rubs my neck. Definitely go with over the shoulder straps.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What happened? more like what didn't happen :laughing: 15years of smearing glue, pencils poking that one spot, tape measure hanging in the same location etc..and etc,, You know, it just plain wore out. I had the two bottom pockets duct taped , they were so thread bare.

Thanks for the link! I will check that out in a minute or so.

·
where's my table saw?
27,898 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Nice apron from Harbor Freight and the price is right.
I like the denim aprons from Harbor Freight. I usually sew on longer ties because I like to tie it in front and not the back.

I only use a pencil pocket. Any other pockets get in my way. I'm either leaning over my workbench or my table saw and stuff in my pockets would be very distracting. If an apron comes with lower pockets, I just cut them out.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never let it be said I don't participate in my threads! Anyways I was down in Seattle and stopped in to Rocklers and they are having a store garage sale
and I got myself this apron. http://www.rockler.com/gallery.cfm?offerings_id=10257&r=3 I like the cross straps and the denim seems pretty sturdy.
Feels like I could like this one. I called my father back in Virginia and asked where he got that apron. He gave that to me as a birthday gift many many years ago. Seems that apron was hand made by some gal in Mechanicsville Va! No wonder why it lasted some 15 years :thumbsup:

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have an apron, received as a gift, hanging in the shop but don't wear it. While reading this thread, I thought I will try it. I am always looking for a pencil, tape measure, rule, etc. Maybe this will work out. Thanks.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
A couple of things....

I have the Duluth apron and with the mesh bottom pockets it is great, EXCEPT that the apron hangs on my neck. I also have a few of the denim Rockler aprons. These are great with the "Cross the Back" straps. As the Rockler aprons get all gunked up with glue, etc. I'll relegate the apron to finishing use. Then finally LOML will tell me to throw the apron out.

So there may be a solution but without mesh pockets. There is a product by Rustoleum called 'Never Wet'. (Two part rattle can) The plan is to spray a new Rockler apron with Never Wet. It should keep the glue and gunk at bay.

So you don't have to ask, BORG.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts