Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market of a new router, and looking for recommendations. It will be used for free hand, plunge base, and also in a table. Also need to be able to adjust from above table, but can not afford a table lift. I am figuring on spending between 200 and 300. Thx for your help in this.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Everyone has their own favorite brand. I'm no different, I suggest you give the Milwaukee 5616-24 a close look. Fits all your criteria.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
The craftsman pro kit does everything your asking for the 160 range....I've been using it for a few years now and it's been top notch

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx on the craftsman pro kit, do you have a model number? thx

·
John
3,028 Posts
Reactions: vinnypatternmaker

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have a Bosch 1617 EVS that I use as fixed base, plunge and in the table. It works well for me. They offer a base without the knobs or plastic sub base for table use at a substantial saving.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx for all your information, after reading through a lot of reviews, I feel it comes down to 2 different routers, the bosch 1617evs or the milwaukee 5616-24.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Thx for all your information, after reading through a lot of reviews, I feel it comes down to 2 different routers, the bosch 1617evs or the milwaukee 5616-24.
Both good choices and likely more "industrial" quality than the craftsman recommendations. Haven't had much experience with Milwaukee lately but they used to be second to none for quality a few years ago. The Bosch stuff I have, trim router and angle grinder, are top notch. I've been looking at the Bosch MRC 23 pretty hard to round out my collection of routers. :smile:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
It's hard to pick a loser between those 2. Check to see if the Bosch has the table adjustment feature, even if it doesn't it's likely to be a little less expensive. Happy routing!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doing some searching it seems the 1617 needs a base to use with table and then you will have above table adjustment

·
John
3,028 Posts
Just between usn's, I don't see a heck of a lot of difference in the fixed base that comes with the kit and the special one for the table except for the hex key. Before I coughed up an extra $50 I'd look that kit included base over pretty well to see if some simple mod would make it work. I'm betting it would.:yes:

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Excellent picks....go see which feels best in your hands. I've found the MW plunge base to be excellent, and I really like the BodyGrip feature on the fixed base. The MW only has topside height adjustment, as does the Bosch with the table mounting base....you'll need a bent wrench, and will need to remove the insert for topside bit changes with both. Freud and Triton are the only two names that offer a full compliment of topside features that allow easy one hand bit changes without a bent wrench and without removing the insert.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thx for the info, I went to Freud web site, and they don't even list routers in their product list, just bits, maybe they don't make them any more. Will check out the Triton routers, thx again for all your help.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Freud pulled their electric tools out of the US market. Too bad, they (the routers) were (are) fine tools. But that was after they sold the bit/blade business to Bosch.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Like Chataigner, I'd recommend taking a look at the Triton, but maybe the bigger 3-1/4 HP brother: Triton TRA001 3-1/4 HP Dual Mode Precision Plunge Router - Amazon.com
At about $290, it's still within your price range and they get good reviews.

I've been looking at one to replace the big PC 7518 Speedmatic that I have under my router table. The Triton would be less money than most router lifts for the 7518.

Bill

·
John
3,028 Posts
Thx for the info, I went to Freud web site, and they don't even list routers in their product list, just bits, maybe they don't make them any more. Will check out the Triton routers, thx again for all your help.
Scott is right, the Freud 1700 (2¼ hp) and the Freud 3000 (3½) offer full above table adjustments. Like Fred said, most Freud power tools have been pulled off the US market, some sorta deal between Freud and Bosch I guess. The 1700's sometimes crop up in the reconditioned market and used can usually be found on eBay. The 3000 is still available new but at the high end of the price range.
Freud 3-1/4 Hp Variable Speed Plunge Router - Amazon.com
I've got a 1700 in a portable table and a 3000 in a full time table and have been more than happy with both.

The Triton MOF 001 (2¼ hp) and the TRC001 (3½ hp) have been designed for table use, typically get excellent reviews and offer a pretty good bang for the buck.:yes:

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have the Craftsman Router, it's model is 320.27683. It is a kit with plunge base and a fixed base, it is variable speed, by dial not trigger, 12 amp, and max of 2 HP. After just asking for people's input on this router, I would suggest this model. I have also used a couple of times and am happy with it, at my level, beginner. Also I have always heard that Porter Cable is one of the best, but one of the most expensive. Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts