Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am your basic carpenter and I install a lot of kitchen cabinets and laminate counter tops. My old Jigsaw just died and the reason why I liked it was I could cut the back of a sink cut out.
If you've never done one of these, you need to be able to cut within an inch or less of the backsplash.
All the new jigsaw bases are too wide to make this cut.
I remember for a while they were selling a model jigsaw that the head pivoted so you could make cuts pretty close to the edge of the tool.
I've been looking for either this kind or just any kind to just be able to make cuts like this.
I've looked around and so far have had no luck.
Anybody have any advice?
I've been cutting the back by turning the countertop over, but with some of the bigger counter tops it's not easy or convenient.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem with that is the body would still hit the backsplash. Either that or I'd have to cut an angle to get close enough to the corner.
Thanks for the reply though, it was a good thought.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Hi all, I am your basic carpenter and I install a lot of kitchen cabinets and laminate counter tops. My old Jigsaw just died and the reason why I liked it was I could cut the back of a sink cut out.
If you've never done one of these, you need to be able to cut within an inch or less of the backsplash.
All the new jigsaw bases are too wide to make this cut.
I remember for a while they were selling a model jigsaw that the head pivoted so you could make cuts pretty close to the edge of the tool.
I've been looking for either this kind or just any kind to just be able to make cuts like this.
I've looked around and so far have had no luck.
Anybody have any advice?
I've been cutting the back by turning the countertop over, but with some of the bigger counter tops it's not easy or convenient.
Hi Nick - I've got a little scrolling jigsaw where the head pivots but I just checked and it still wont get you less than an inch+ from anything.
May want to look into an oscillating tool for those tight jobs if you can't find a jig saw.
Good Luck:smile:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never installed a counter top but are you able to cut from underneath?
Before you install the counter top you can flip it over and cut it that way. However, depending on the size this can be very difficult for 1 person. And I'm almost always doing these alone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Nick - I've got a little scrolling jigsaw where the head pivots but I just checked and it still wont get you less than an inch+ from anything.
May want to look into an oscillating tool for those tight jobs if you can't find a jig saw.
Good Luck:smile:
Actually in a pinch I do use my oscillating tool. That takes a long time.

·
I like Nails
331 Posts
The only one I have ever done is my own, and since it didn't have to be presentable, I used a hand saw for the back. Started with a keyhole saw and then a regular wood saw. It didn't take more than 5 minutes. So I guess no I can't help at all, but felt the need to say something anyway. : ) Luck!

·
Registered
114 Posts
You might want to look at the Dremel saw max.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts