Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have been using a Laguna 14" SUV bandsaw for about 6 months. I am very happy with it. I am less happy with my skill in using it.

The saw supplements my hand tool work. I use it for resawing and rips and the occasional long curve.

I am aiming for what Michael Fortune teaches - a saw that is perfectly aligned for 90 degree cuts and that does not require drift adjustment. I know some don't believe this possible but I've spoken to enough people who say it is that I want to aim for it. I am using the 1/2" blade that he recommends.

I live in Essex County NJ, in Livingston. I would love to have someone knowledgeable come and help me and I'd be happy to pay the time. I think I'd learn so much more and save time if I could get guidance from an expert. Know anyone, or have ideas how to find someone who will make a house call?

I think I've seen most of the bandsaw alignment videos out there but if anyone can recommend a great setup video or article I'd love it.

Thank you!

Eric

PS Similarly I'd love to know of any class or hand tool expert near my area that I might learn from. I unfortunately can't travel for a class but would love a tutor to shorten my learning curve.

·
where's my table saw?
28,580 Posts
Best Video for wheel alignment

For resawing, the guides are really along for the ride and don't have a lot of influence on a properly aligned saw and a sharp blade. I don't allow for drift myself and when things start to go south it's sign of a dull blade. I use either Timberwolf in 3/4" wide 3 TPI, or Starrett or Lenox blades I weld myself in 1/2" and 3/8" wide 3 TPI.

When one side of the blade gets a little dull it will favor the opposite side. (If there is not adequate tension, and wider blades require more tension than you think, the blade will flutter under load and stop cutting true. Think pushing on a rope under tension. Tension is key to good resaws.

·
7,222 Posts
I thought I recognized the name, reminded me about the picnic table threads.

I am about 1 1/2hr west of you. Happy to make a house call. We should be able to get your bandsaw running true.

I do not consider myself an expert in hand tools, but I know my way around hand planes and chisels.

PM me if you want to set up a visit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

I have read that the wheels do not need to be coplanar - this is from the Fortune article. But it is something I should consider. I appreciate the response!!

Eric

woodnthings said:
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxfZphxj2eM For resawing, the guides are really along for the ride and don't have a lot of influence on a properly aligned saw and a sharp blade. I don't allow for drift myself and when things start to go south it's sign of a dull blade. I use either Timberwolf in 3/4" wide 3 TPI, or Starrett or Lenox blades I weld myself in 1/2" and 3/8" wide 3 TPI. When one side of the blade gets a little dull it will favor the opposite side. (If there is not adequate tension, and wider blades require more tension than you think, the blade will flutter under load and stop cutting true. Think pushing on a rope under tension. Tension is key to good resaws.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave,

I'll send you a PM now. Thanks!

As for the picnic table, it was host to lots of pizza over the summer!

Eric

Dave Paine said:
I thought I recognized the name, reminded me about the picnic table threads. I am about 1 1/2hr west of you. Happy to make a house call. We should be able to get your bandsaw running true. I do not consider myself an expert in hand tools, but I know my way around hand planes and chisels. PM me if you want to set up a visit.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I recently purchased a Laguna 14 | 12 and it has performed just as you are looking for. I am also running a 1/2" 3 TPI Laguna blade and have yet to have any blade drift (except for drift cause by a bent blade). I have had minor issues with the blade running at a perfect 90 degrees but a combination square and quick adjustment to an adjuster nut under the table fixed that with little issue. Now I have resawn 8" and 9" thick stock to be perfectly perpendicular. As far as adjustment of the entire saw I have gone by this video and it has fixed most issues i have come across.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts