Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I'm installing carpet rods & brackets on my oak staircase. Maybe I should say, I'm trying.... First of all, the #5 screws that came with the brackets are flat head brass slotted. NO GOOD! The only thing I can find is zinc or brass #5 Flat Head Phillips screws. These too are NO GOOD even though I drill a pilot hole. Though I've been lucky to only break a few screws, I still have a long way to GOOOOOOOOOO! Technically I've read, the pilot hole should be drilled with a 5/64 bit, but it was a fight. So, I upped it to 3/32 with some improvement, but I'm still having problems. I forgot the trick of using a lubricant, and will give it another try. Can someone recommend a hardware distributor that carries the #5 screws I need that are hardened and used in working with oak? I'd appreciate any HELP & thanks! TED

·
Registered
714 Posts
Ted,
Here are a few tips that may help.
First, drill a pilot hole. Make sure the hole goes in the exact direction you want the screw to travel.
Use a steel screw of the same size to cut the threads in the oak first. When you go back with a lubed, brass screw, it will screw right in place.
Make sure you are using the correct size screwdriver for the size of the slots in your screws.
I gotta be honest, with something as small as a #5, I probably would just use a steel screw and call it a day. I hate brass.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
You can buy coated steel screws and I am sure brass is a commomn option. A google should get you several suppliers and check Thomas Register too if you are having trouble.

Whatever you do don't register with Thomas Register OR, although a different topic, Dunn and Bradstreet for that matter. I made the mistake with D&B and still get solicitiations via phone and mail. They sell your name to the universe.

Anyway, try a google for the brass coated screws.

·
Registered
4 Posts
TED,

While other guys have helped you with the screws, I have suggestions on drilling the pilot holes.

To drill a perfectly centered hole, begin the hole with a:
S.E. Vick Tool #5 7/64" VIX-BIT - For No. 5 & 6 Screws, Self Centering Bit
available at Amazon

Finish depth of hole with a tapered bit:
Rockler/Insty-Drive Tapered Drill Bits
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10609&filter=69030

Hope this helps...

...Christopher

1 - 6 of 6 Posts