Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
This Space For Rent
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh yea and a finial blackened with india ink. The box itself is about 3" tall with a total height of just over 5".

pic0009SMc.jpg

pic0010SMc.jpg

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
very nice Slatron, I really like it. Surprised it didn't get more comments so I thought I'd bring it back up for a second look. I bet a lot of people just didn't see it.

The choice of a walnut lid to match the bark was a nice touch.

·
SS user
2,690 Posts
I came, I saw I complimented. Guess it got lost in the ether.

I like it a lot. The lid is a very nice touch.

I once turned a lamp from "Bodark" or "Hedge" as we called it. Flew of the lathe and right through the school's shop window.

I have some aging in the shop right now. Probably make a box or several...if I can afford to keep my blades sharpened. Between the mesquite and the bodark, I need my own tool sharpening service.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I like the box. I especially like the white ring near the top. Is that the osage sapwood? Will it stay that color? Was that intentional or just one of those beautiful things that happens when making a project? It adds a lot of character to the piece.

·
This Space For Rent
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I was beginning to think "well I won't try that again". :no: Actually I just figured it got lost in other posts and lack of time for everyone.

Yea, the white is the sapwood, as far as the color lasting as best I understand.. it won't. This is the first time working with this wood so what the future holds for this piece I don't know.

As far as hard on tools, this wood is still green so it hasn't been all that bad although I've read it gets really hard. It seems rather stable when drying though.

And the walnut lid, well, when isn't walnut a good idea. :icon_smile: It grows on trees around here anyways, like a weed.

·
Saw Miller Australia
104 Posts
I like that :thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup: Looks like a timber called 'Conkerberry' which grows in Australia.Well done:yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts