Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this wooden hook in a junkyard and I'm puzzled how it was made. Any thoughts? Thank you!
Plant Wood Musical instrument Tobacco pipe Door handle

Wood Sculpture Artifact Art Metal
Wood Musical instrument Tool Wood stain Natural material
Plant Wood Natural material Tree Foot

·
Registered
27,544 Posts
Wood can be bent that way by steaming it and put it in a press however due to the irregular shape I think that is a tree limb that was already that shape. Someone probably just whittled the bark off and shaped it to a point

·
Registered
680 Posts
I found this wooden hook in a junkyard and I'm puzzled how it was made. Any thoughts?
There lots of ways to bend wood, one way is while it is still alive. Find a thin sapling or branch, bend it to the shape, hold it in place with cords etc, come back in a few years when it is thick enough. I put some arrows where it looks like it could have been tied. (When I preview this for the photo I get "Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18", it is just an edited version of the 3rd photo, I guess a bit too suggestive for the forum software.)

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Musical instrument Wood Metal Natural material Wood stain

How it might have been used: Hook (hand tool) - Wikipedia

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Many plants grow that way. We have some kind of small-leaf ivy-type hedge around much of our yard. It is old and thick and gnarly. Some of the internal branches are easily four inches thick or more. They twist in all different directions. I do not know if the "wood" is useable, but I am sure I could find hook shaped sections easily enough.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wonder if it actually root. I’ve wondered if tree roots are ever used in turning or other applications. Now I guess I can ask. Don’t mean to derail the thread. My first thought was root.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts